SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dccnm

my new Stickley table---funny story and I need table pads

17 years ago

I just got my new Stickley dining table yesterday and I love it! I'd like to order protective table pads for it and wonder if anyone has used a particular company and been pleased with their purchase. There are a number of them on the internet and I would prefer a recommendation if anyone has one. If you'd also like to hear my story of the table, read on.....

I have an antique claw foot round oak table that I love, but unfortunately it no longer fits my family's needs because it is too small for holidays, even with it's two extension leaves. I SEARCHED for a replacement (antique, new--everywhere) and just couldn't find one. Interestingly, there were some in California and Oregon, but since I live in the East, I was hesitant to order site unseen.

Anyway, off to Stickley I go. They had a great 52" round table but only sold it with 3 leaves. Just not big enough for me. So I asked if I could order it with 4 leaves. No was the answer--"we don't have a slide that would accomodate that many leaves". Doesn't make sense to me or my salesperson since there are antique Stickleys out there that large and they've always used the same slide company. So I decide to call the company that makes the slides. I figure if they have one, I can order it, replace the shorter one and then order another leaf. No. Stickley won't sell just a leaf because "they're all custom to an individual table". Yeah, right. So I call the slide company, a small family owned business, and a nice older woman says "Who at Stickley told you that? That's ridiculous! Of course we make them longer! Let me give you the exact part number honey, then you call them back and tell them that they CAN order it!" My sales person was hysterical--they're on commission so she was all for my going for it. Okay, so this post is already too long, but needless to say, I did get my custom Stickley table, much to their chagrin, and it's beautiful. With all the leaves in it's 112"--Thanksgiving, here we come!

Comments (3)