SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
helenahandbasket1

Help! Long post about renovating a house to sell.

Hi!

I'm hoping people can help guide me. My mother passed away and my sister and I inherited her house. It is in South Florida, and we didn't sell for a couple years because the market is so depressed.

Long story, but my dad (they were divorced) is staying in it and helping us fix it up to eventually sell. Her house was sort of typical for many older ladies--somewhat run-down and outdated.

Her floor was terrazzo, which sounds nice, but is in terrible shape and I hate the color. She had decent carpeting in half the house.

Now, despite being run-down, her house in a neighborhood that is pretty squarely middle to upper-middle class.

I need to put in new flooring to make anyone want to live here, but I'm debating laminate vs. engineered wood. I want to make it look nice and it's a great house for someone with kids--centered around a patio and a pool.

I know laminate turns people off, but honestly, anything would be an improvement. I don't want to do tile because it gets too cold to the touch.

Thoughts? Have people who installed laminate had bad experiences or do they hear that clicking noise I hear about when walking? My dad has a small dog.

(He will probably also be vehemently against laminate and will tell me it will never sell that way.) I just have so much work to do on this house, and I need about 2200 sq. feet of flooring--so it's not cheap!

Comments (8)