SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

New England Beachfront RE - where to look?

mtnrdredux_gw
11 years ago

I need input on NE coastal towns.

Our second home is on a lake. When we bought it, we lived in a fairly urban NYC suburb. Now we are in CT with fair amount of land and our own large pond where we swim, fish, kayak. Now our "vacation" home doesn't feel as much like a getaway.

So I am thinking about a beachfront home. I would want to go up the coastline, not down the coast line. But since I grew up in PA, and lived in NYC and NJ, I know the "Jersey Shore" areas but not the New England coast. I am trying to find out if what I want is even possible.

The main thing I want is to be able to hear waves and walk on a beach (rocky beaches are fine). I don't want a touristy town, but I need good, upscale grocery shopping and to be within 20 minutes of fine dining.

I need at least 3br and 2ba. I prefer a home that needs cosmetic work (only), since I want to do the decorating, of course. I am not looking for a large lot or garage. I am willing to travel up to 4hr, which puts me in Portsmouth, NH.

Here is the kicker. Is this possible for $1mn? $1.2? I really don't want to spend too much more than that. Given the expected frequency of use that would make no sense unless i though the house was an investment (and I am skeptical of that).

To give you an idea, I was googling and I think this one seems very reasonable. It's even kind of cute. What am I missing? What should I be looking for?

thank you in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: tiny lot and small house, but seems cheap?

Comments (31)