SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barb5_gw

For Flyleft

barb5
12 years ago

I saw your questions on the "Lazy, crazy summer days" thread, but haven't had the time to answer. It is raining now, so I have a bit of slow time on my hands.

Frankly any serious farmer would probably laugh at me. We didn't buy a farm, we built one on the land we have. Land that has woods, banks of shale, and a swamp on it. Because of this, I don't have a nice big square field, I have patches of gardens all around, where ever it is possible to grow something on.We have 5 acres,but unfortunately built a house on the prime growing spot but just wasn't thinking that someday we would want to grow stuff commercially. At the time, both DH and I had careers and were commuting into the city.

Then I got deep burn out from my job and kept dreaming about a small farm. I had already had a big garden so had some idea of what I needed to do. I bought Eliot Coleman's "The New Organic Grower," read it cover to cover and have modeled my market garden on that.

My gardens are evolving from veggies that have to be seeded and transplanted all summer, to more perennials. So no beets, peas, scallion, etc this year (still do early spring greens tho), to strawberries, rhubarb, daffs, peonies, blueberries, garlic, onions, tomatoes (only need to be seeded and planted once), as I am getting older and creekier. Also trying a variety of melons this year for the first time.

I love being my own boss and being able to have the business serve my needs instead of the other way around.

I have a hoophouse for early spring greens, and later for tomatoes. I also have a small greenhouse for seedlings and I keep the amaryllis in there in the summer. Irrigation is all drip. And this year a walk in cooler and a flower station that I designed and built myself.

And most of all, I have a DH who is an engine head, who repairs and maintains the machinery (a large and small tiller, weed wacker, edger, mowers) and who also manages most of the marketing, as I am just not very good at that.

I couldn't fully support myself on this business, but it has become an important addition to our income. And now that the infrastructure and perennials are in, the labor is getting lighter. Side benefits are a diet of the freshest most delicious organically grown veggies and berries you can find, and a house full of fresh flowers most of the year.

So that's it in a nut shell. Hope I answered most of your questions. I enjoy it, and my customers are just the best. When I get tired or discouraged, they keep me going.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County