SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19762856

So much for early pre-natal testing...

User
9 years ago

As some of you know, I had my early pre-natal testing at my last appointment (it's called a Panorama test and tests for Down Syndrome risk and other trisomy risks plus can tell us the gender if we ask, I did!). It usually takes 14 days for results so I should have been suspicious to get a call 10 days after. I naively thought it was good news early!

I saw the missed call from my doctor's office and saw they left a voicemail. I waited to listen to the message as I wanted to share with DH in case they left any details (still thinking it was them saying "everything's normal, etc."). Since I've been through so much with my doctor's offices, my voicemail gives explicit instructions to leave detailed messages as I tend to freak out with the "it's Friday at 4:30pm, call us Monday at 10am". My nurses and doctors have been wonderful at leaving messages so I don't freak out for long. :)

I wasn't familiar with the nurse who left me the message regarding our Panorama test and of course it was after hours when I listened to it. Apparently the lab couldn't process my blood sample due to "insufficient metrics" in the fetal blood sample. I have no idea what that meant as the lab tech took 2 huge vials for the test (and it was the first blood test in all of them that I have had in the past 2 years that actually hurt, go figure). When I finally got a hold of them, I cried before I even knew what any of the message meant. My doctor's office never got a rejection like mine and actually had to call the test's corporate office to decipher the rejection message. I swear, if something is unique or unknown, it happens to me.

I had to have the bloodwork re-done and re-sent to the lab in California to be analyzed again. Usually the bloodwork is done through the local lab but this is something special so it goes to the corporation for processing (the test is $2,035...I was shocked). Because of the way it's processed (read?) the results can't be rushed, it's another 2 week wait. I asked both the nurse and the blood lab tech about rejections and retests and neither of them ever saw it before for this test (I was happy they were honest with me but...) Then I find out from my doctor at a later appointment that if the first one can't be read, sometimes the second one can't be either. Apparently it doesn't mean there is a problem, the fetal DNA just can't be extracted from it. () I asked what the alternative is if this test isn't sufficient and she said it's either an amnio or other bloodwork. And another 2 week wait for results...

I haven't had a moment's peace in my pregnancy and all this stress is making me nervous. My blood pressure was off the charts when I went in to talk to the doctor about the rejected bloodwork and she said it's understandable that I'm nervous but there is nothing to worry about yet. Easy for her to say!

We haven't told anyone else about our pregnancy and it's getting quite hard to hide my bump now. I thought we'd be in the clear now and it's going to be another 10 days till we know anything.

It seems like all I ever do is wait! And I swear if this wasn't happening to me personally, I'd never believe someone that every single thing that happens can't be smooth ever!

p.s. I was a little excited to see the Christmas rush thread. This baby will be here by then and can't get here fast enough for me. :)

Comments (28)