SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyfia

Pre-schooler testing boundaries - advice

lyfia
10 years ago

I was wondering if you guys could help with some advice as it is always helpful to hear other perspectives on how to handle the situation.

Our daughter is almost 5 and very strong willed. She is now testing boundaries which I'm sure is normal at this age as in being defiant when told not to do something. At home{{gwi:807}} this is not an issue as when she does the defiant behavior and smiles as she does something after told not to do it again we immediately do time out and if that is not enough remove privileges.

We've only had it happen twice at home, but it seems to be an almost daily occurrence recently at pre-school and when it has happened at home it has been after one of those days at pre-school. We do remove privileges at home after these incidents at school, but it doesn't seem to work.

They use a color system for behavior and I personally think they have given her too many chances to correct the behavior. If it was at home if she does it again she would be moving her clip so today I told them that if she does it a 2nd time then she should move her clip.

We also have given them a list of privileges to remove when she misbehaves at naptime (she doesn't need to sleep just be quiet and not disturb the other kids- although she still needs a nap). First thing to remove is the animal she wants to sleep with if she disturbs other children (often she plays around with it so it has to go) and then for each disturbance remove privileges. We do follow through on privileges. She has not watched the movie Turbo now for 3 weeks since we got the DVD even though she really wants to and asks and we remind her why she isn't watching it.

I don't know if you have any suggestion what else we could do. I'm getting a feeling the pre-school just doesn't handle it too well as in give too many chances or their arms are tied or something as she obviously is beyond what they are used to or something. Especially since we don't get the same issue at home. She knows she can't get away with it at home.

Also I'm not sure about this other thing they have had her do when disruptive at naptime is to sit with the school administrator in her office and she lets her sit and say obnoxious bodily fluid words or other noises and ignores her until she stops. I'm not sure this is the right approach either. I do agree she is doing it for attention, but we don't allow that at home and she surely knows better.

We had one issue at dance class once and there the teacher talked to her and then afterwards talked to my husband (who takes her) and she hasn't misbehaved there since. She said she was real stern with our daughter ( I coached her daughter in soccer so talked one day after that to find out more{{gwi:807}} info).

Because of the above it seems the issue is more at school in how it is addressed that she just doesn't show respect and I would like to empower the teachers to get results, but not sure how to do it.

I don't want this to be a continuing issue and want to stop it now.

edit: forgot a not in a sentence

This post was edited by lyfia on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 11:47

Comments (63)