SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oruboris

Need advice, QUICK: wood floors & dogs, picture included

oruboris
15 years ago

So after a whole year of agonizing and failing to find a whole-house tile I liked, I decided to do hickory, rustic and unfinished. Thought I could add/refresh an oil finish as needed.

Big problem: I can get the floor in a finished version for $1/ft more, now; or wait up to 8 weeks for the unfinished product, and still have perhaps a week of waiting after that for acclimation and finish. That's killing me: I hoped to move in in about 4 weeks.

Bottom line: if I use the Aluminum Oxide finish on a floor this rustic, it basicly can't be refinished-- I'd loose all the character. So what will happen if I wipe a little tung oil [or similar] on the inevitable scratches? Will they blend in enough [given that the floor is VERY rustic] to be ignored, or will it cause the surrounding oxide finish to loosen and look even worse?

It's a very matte version of aluminum oxide, seen here in 'cider' finish:

{{gwi:1443594}}

Is there anyway to refresh an aluminum oxide finish-- not asking for perfection, just making the damage less noticable. I'd really like to make this decision by Friday evening-- there's a sale on...

Cross posting on 'new house' since time is of the essence.

Here is a link that might be useful: virgina vintage hickory

Comments (4)