SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kterlep

Tile failure - PO Woes...help!

kterlep
14 years ago

We have lived in this (old) house for nearly one year. My daughter came and told me that a tile had come out of the floor but she had put it back. After much searching, I found the loose tile in front of the vanity, and then I found another and another and another, have about 3 sq feet of tile that came up with finger pressure.

The tile was probably installed in 2007. It is Guocera brand 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 octagon/dot in 1' square mesh. It was installed with Tec Double Duty adhesive. It is installed over 5/8" OSB (yikes!) and 1" old growth pine.

I need to put this back together, I don't have the cash to replace this floor right now. I know you aren't supposed to install tile over OSB, but it's not the mastic that failed - the mesh backing is securely stuck to the mastic which is stuck to the OSB. I think (based on what I can see, and my severly limited knowledge and pretty good intuition) that the tiles didn't get glued and were held in place by the grout (which has cracked in this area) and the mesh adhesive). There is NO mastic stuck to the back of the tiles I removed, and in some places, the mastic doesn't even go through the mesh!

What are my options for repair?

Thanks!

Comments (12)