SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnorange_gw

Flooring damage by pets, acceptable?

johnorange
13 years ago

After reading through the flooring forums for help with a job I'm doing, it struck me how many folks there are here who have problems with floor damage by pets. I am remodeling a house that had dogs and one bathroom was nothing short of horrible with urine residues under the linoleum and floor plates. Even the little "oopsies" where there was a pee spot on the carpet were even worse under the carpet where it remains soaked in the padding and subfloor. I have seen some gorgeous wood floors in some really nice houses scratched by "paw-nails". I know pets are often a part of the family and I have had at least my share but seems like they should live outside for health and social reasons (respiratory illnesses and odors). The visual damage may be an acceptable cost for having our furry friends inside the house with us but is it really acceptable to have all of these "oopsie" residues all over the house? To me, it's not just the "oopsies", it's also the concept of the cat or dog doing his business outside or in the litter box and then sitting on the carpet or my couch a few seconds later.

Comments (23)