SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aineskow

Pet-stained hardwood floors - too far gone?

AMS
6 years ago

*Re-posting as I managed to delete the first one (I think?!)*

Hello all,

I have searched the forum on pet-stained hardwood floors, and now I'm nervous... I just bought my 1948 house and spent the weekend pulling up decades old carpet (and will be pulling out staples until the end of time). There is 1.5" red (?) oak underneath, and my plan was to have the floors sanded and refinished before I move in.

Once the carpet was up, I realized the floors are quite stained. I assume pet stains because of the all-over nature of the stains, and the previous owner mentioned she had a tiny dog ~15 years ago.

I had one floor refinisher in to provide an estimate, and he said the stains likely wouldn't come out completely with sanding, and that the best way to mask them would be with a dark floor stain color (e.g., dark walnut). I have another guy coming to look this week.

But my question for the pros is - will a darker walnut stain actually work to camouflage the damage, or will it end up a dark blotchy mess? I haven't been able to find good photos of a before and after situation like this online, perhaps because no one does it successfully... I don't think the floors have ever been refinished before if that helps.

I have budgeted for refinishing (~$2500) but not entirely replacing and am getting disheartened. Prepare to feast your eyes:

Thanks for your input!

Comments (17)