SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
storybookhome

Is the acceptable? Damaged granite installed.

Storybook Home
5 years ago
Today we got the granite countertops installed in our tract new build (see, see, I used the correct spelling like y’all so subtly suggested ;)

[[Backstory: This is the “free” builder grade granite. You had to sign a waiver that you could not select your slab of material even if you upgraded so we decided to go with the included option since it matched our floors and cabinets perfectly, we could upgrade with a slab we chose later on our own, and we were concerned about the appraisal going over since we did several other upgrades.]]

We selected an eased edge which I know is more prone to chip than a bullnose. However. This is NEW. We have not used it yet. We haven’t even moved in yet! You can clearly see where the stone was damaged and repaired in several places. One area is pitted and not filled in well. Most chips are small. One is quite large. More photos will be attached in comments. I know this is the freebie option but still.

Our builder has been great about fixing flagged issues so far. What do you think is reasonable? Can we ask for a monetary kick back? I don’t really want them to pull it out even if that is reasonable. The color is perfect and there is no guarantee we’ll get so lucky with another batch. It doesn’t visually bother me too much. The granite is so busy you don’t really see it. I inspected it meticulously. It’s more the PRINCIPLE. I feel it should not be a repaired product in a new home. Or is this par for the course where tract homes are concerned and to be expected?

Thank you.

Comments (22)