SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trav86_gw

Help needed-contractor can't get the floor right! What to do?

trav86
15 years ago

Floor story: our pre-reno kitchen had an ugly tile floor which covered decent wood floors. The first thing the contractor did after demo was to refinish the wood floors. He stained them and put on one coat of polyurethane. He then covered the floors with cardboard and proceeded with the rest of the job.

Two weeks ago, contractor was ready to finish the floors. There had been some scratching, etc, even with the cardboard down, and there was a new section of unfinished floor (long story) that needed staining and finishing. When contractor poly-ed the floor with a glossy finish, it appeared that he had missed a few spots. Two days later, he touched up these spots, but instead of getting better, they got worse. Now, there were large dull patches instead of small ones. Contractor said it was because he had used a different pad to apply the new poly. Sounded weird to me, but I'm not an expert.

Last Friday, he re-poly-ed again and the situation got even worse--larger, duller patches appeared. So today he came and said what REALLY had to happen was that the whole floor needed to be sanded and re-poly-ed at the same time, and that's what he did.

This evening, I came home to find that the floor's finish is consistent, but it's not glossy, which is what I wanted. (Contractor never told me that this redo would result in a matte finish.) There are also spots where he appears to have poly-ed floor dust (from sanding) into the cracks.

Is there a reason my floor can't be consistently covered in a glossy finish? Is there something this guy needs to do that he's not doing? I'd really love some input here.

Comment (1)