SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rooster99_gw

How to repair fir floor splitting after refinishing?

rooster99
17 years ago

I now have a fir floor with splitting between the boards 7 months after refinishing (first appeared about 2 months after - see "Refinished fir floor splitting - any idea why?" in this forum for details). The consensus seems to be that installing a new heating system in a long empty house and refinishing the floors without cycling the new heating system first a couple of times changed the humidity levels enough that the floor boards shrunk. The question is, how to fix the problem?

As background, most of the floor is original, from 1910 although the kitchen is new fir.

- My contractor and flooring guy had originally recommended a coloured epoxy to fill the gaps; I have concerns about colour matching, and with some of the splits close to 1/4" in width, equal concerns about a patchwork quilt look showing up; Another contractor has also said that with gaps that wide the filler would just crack again as the floor flexes

- They are also investigating some kind of clear resin; On another forum people have questioned whether that won't just crack as the floor settles and shifts

- I spoke to another contractor today and he said the only way to fix it is to take off the finish, spread over some kind of filler that comes by the bucketload, and then refinish; I am concerned about the cost, the hassle, and whether that won't just crack again anyway

- In my original thread someone suggested leaving them alone and appreciating them as part of the character of the house; I have concerns over safety due to sharp edges, cleanliness as they collect dirt, and general appearance

Any ideas or thoughts? Any pros/cons?

TIA - R.

Comments (6)