SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sojay_gw

replacing tile with wood - glue issues

sojay
17 years ago

I had a tile floor replaced with bamboo floor by what turned out to be a not-so-competent installer (botch job, long story, didn't come back to fix problem but closed shop in stead). The boards started to separate and loosen from the slab. Now the job is being redone after a flooding situation, and the cleanup crew have been working hard at scraping and dissolving the glue as well as the tile adhesive to prepare for the installer, but they are having a really tough time doing it.

I have a couple of questions:

Could it be that the reason the original job was not successful, was that the installer neglected to remove the tile adhesive well enough before gluing down the wood?

What would be the best way to proceed at this point? Should the glues be painstakingly removed before re-gluing the new floor? Or should an underlayment be used and the floor boards be floated over? And, if so, can the underlayment be placed right over the glue remnants?

The flooding was BTW from a washing machine, not from external water (and it will NEVER repeat as long as I'm here). The slab is fairly low-lying - on one side of the house the top of the slab is at ground level - you could roll a cart right inside from the driveway with no stoop. Location is in a prime termite target area, in the humid south.

Comments and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)