SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vfish_gw

Using Travertine tiles for outside deck, any experience/opinions?

vfish
17 years ago

Help! I have my heart set on using a Walnut veraille Chiseled travertine tile for my floors inside the house and outside the house on a wrap around deck and front courtyard.

I recently interviewed a landscape designer who said she would not recommend putting a travertine tile down for use outside the house. she said it was porous and would weather and look dull within a year. She also said, even if you put a sealant on it, it would yellow with the sun and wear unevenly with the outside elements.

I'm crushed. I really wanted to use the travertine outside on my decks. I have doors that open up fully to expose entire walls. My living room will be outlined in the travertine and I wanted to create the outside in/inside out look by extending the travertine onto the decks. Now I am back to the drawing board trying to figure out what to do.

I could try to match the travertine with a porceline tile, but I'm not sure how well I could get it to match.

The other option is to use another tile that works well outdoors and then use it indoors.

any ideas?

thanks as always for all of your sage advice....

Comments (5)