SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristine_ca

Things to do near Portland, OR?

kristine_ca
10 years ago

We are planning to go visit three colleges in the Portland/Salem area sometime this summer and I'm looking for some other things to do. What can you suggest that would be good for girls ages 16 and 13? Any not-to-miss activities or sites? I've seen some things listed in tourbooks, but I'd prefer suggestions from those who know the area. Thanks!

Comments (16)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I loved the colombia river gorge and the rose gardens....fort clatsop was interesting, but probably not for the girls...and the coast is gorgeous.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

I second the gorge as well as Mt Hood and Timberline Lodge

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

Don't forget Voodoo donuts!!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Is the 24 hour Church of Elvis still open?

Oops, maybe not suitable for a 13 year old...or interesting to them either.

• Jane_the_Renovator
    10 years ago

Shopping:
    * the Columbia outlet
    * the Nike outlet
    * Saturday Market (hippie street market)
    * Powell's--one square block of bookstore.
    * Hawthorne Street (many funky stores and coffeehouses)
    * If they are into thrifting I suggest visiting the Goodwill Outlet Stores. Everything is sold by the pound. Treasure hunting! Note: this is only good if where you are staying has washing facilities.

Eats
    * Rimsky Korsakoffee.
    * Papa Hayden's
    Both are sophisticated coffee-and-dessert places. Rimsky's is more offbeat. Very popular with area teens. Good for a non-alcoholic grownup-style treat.

Music
    Portland has a lot of 'all ages' music shows. If your schedule allows a late night, you might see if any musicians your kids like/might like are playing--you'll probably be able to see sample songs on YouTube. Note: the band goes on (on average) 2 hours later than the stated showtime. Expect a mosh pit. For YOU, most venues have a 'beer garden' area with tables and chairs so you can sit down. Your kids will be standing/dancing as they are not allowed in the area where alcohol is served.

Here is a link that might be useful: One of my favorite PDX show memories--I saw them do this 20+ years ago

• kristine_ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A concert--I had not thought of that at all, but would be fun if someone of interest was playing!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, but I'm open to more!

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I live in Salem, and work near Portland (go there frequently). Depending on where you're staying will depend on the activities.

There are lots of events that go on during the summer, and if you shared what types of interests, I could direct you. Remember, that this is a very laid back area; Portland is VERY hip-and you'll see a lot of variety of people. Dreadlocks, skaters, cross dressers, and lots of tattoos & piercings are the cultural norms.

If in Salem in July you get the Art Fair (all ages love it) and the World Beat Festival, Portland has all kinds of festivals that go on nearly all summer.

In Portland you'll also enjoy Powells Books-and go to the Pearl District; great artsy shopping. But also know that there are a lot, I mean A LOT of strip clubs and adult shops in Portland and parts of Salem. Conversely, you'll find amazing food places (very big on ethnic foods) and the best coffee anywhere.

PSU is located in downtown Portland, a very hip, cool place-LOVE the food carts! Willamette U in Salem is near the capital, and a few blocks west is where you'll find tons of things going on on the weekends. If you're going to visit Western Oregon-that is in a more rural area, but some amazing wine country views-and the lavender festivals.

Email me with what schools you'll be visiting and your time frame and I'll get you a lot more info.

• kristine_ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Pesky! I just sent you an email-

Anyone else have any favorite activities, restaurants, or places to visit?

• Jane_the_Renovator
    10 years ago

I agree with Pesky--we need to know their interests before we can recommend more! Also, you and your girls need to know that it rains frequenly in the Willamette Valley from October-June. July-September are the opposite--VERY dry and hot. Visiting during the summer will not give you an accurate picture of the weather during most of the school year. I recommend visiting during the rainy season to see if they can take the weather because many people can't.

• kristine_ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are moderately outdoorsy--like to walk along the beach or stroll in parks, but no 10 mile hikes or kayaking--we're not that intrepid. Something on the water might be fun (in a bigger boat?) and I know the girls would love one of the zip line things. There seem to be several of those. We also like plays and musicals.

As for the weather, we are aware that the winter and spring bring lots of rain. I expect we'd come back for a more substantial visit next year if she likes one of the schools, and probably will try to make it for rainy season to get a feel for that. My daughter is generally very indoorsy and likes being cozy while weather is blustery outside. So we think she might be okay w/the rain! Time will tell.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I haven't done this yet, but I want to because it looks like it would be really fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cruise the gorge

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

It 'rained' today-I laugh because probably 95% of the people don't even use umbrellas in the rain. Unless it's torrential, you just throw your hood up and go out!

The one thing I don't like about fall & winter (and sometimes spring) is that it's not always raining, but it's ALWAYS overcast. Not nearly enough sunshine. That's why we have so many coffee shops and breweries!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Ah, but it keeps from having EVERYONE move here :)

• User
    10 years ago

The Portland Art Museum is pretty good. I really like the Native American exhibit. They have artifacts from tribes throughout the PNW and Alaska.

• mahatmacat1
    10 years ago

Eating: Voodoo Donuts is what my 15 y.o. daughter recommends even though I always balk at waiting in line--I feel like a sucker standing in line there, ykwim? Can't bring myself to do it--she has to get her voodoo fixes with other people, I'm afraid. I *will* stand in line (moderate line, not as long as VD) at Little Big Burger in the Pearl (OMG their truffle oil fries are the BEST in the world, seriously, and their burgers are the only ones I'll drive out of my way to get). OH--one *sure thing* is the food trucks on Alder downtown--a *scene* on sunny days, any day of the week. You'll mingle with tourists and regulars. It's always a Scene.

Saturday Farmer's Market in the Park Blocks around PSU (which colleges are you visiting?) is always *the* Scene on Saturday mornings. Nothing says Portland like the Farmer's Market. Prepared foods as well as fresh fruit, vegs, uncooked sausage, etc. are sold there.

Reed has some beautiful campus landscapes to walk around.

Driving the Columbia Gorge highway, easy to get to, out past Multnomah Falls, you can find smaller falls you can actually wade in (the bottom of them), and then find a place on the other side of the road, and wade in the Columbia. Really delicious. On a sunny day it can't be beat. You can access the Columbia from anywhere.

Trying to think of places to walk with views--Oaks Bottom is beautiful, and easy to access from the center of town. Metro's system of preserves across the Portland area is a point of pride for us -- there are natural areas that Metro has bought or been bequeathed that will be spared from development for ever.

Mt. Tabor is also fun - an actual volcano right in the middle of town, and you can walk up to the top of it. People jog there all the time.

The modern wing at the Portland Art Museum is also pretty wonderful -- some minor masterworks, beautifully displayed. The Museum of Contemporary Craft down in the Pearl gives you a sense of the solid craft tradition in the PNW -- they have a great exhibit there now about the Bowl, as a meeting place of art and function. It's a bit hip, if your kids get into that. The PAM has an exhibit about the history of the bicycle this summer -- haven't seen it yet, but I have high hopes for it, esp. because DH is a cyclist. As Portland is a cycling mecca, it should go over pretty well : )

• kristine_ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the great suggestions, flyleft! Those all sound fun and doable. And I'm sure DD will be thrilled to go anyplace called "Voodoo Donut", but I will be less than thrilled with the line! Well, that's what vacations are for, sometimes.