SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marge727

A brand new scam!!

marge727
16 years ago

My husband received a post card claiming that it was an Advance Courtesy Notice that the local court just listed his name as a defendant in a new lawsuit. This company AARON & GOLD would help him settle out of court. He just needed to call this 800# and his problems would be solved.

Before I called to find out about this--I checked the Civil Register which lists all lawsuits filed for the past 10 years. My bar association provides a searchable register. No lawsuit in our county which is a pretty big one.

In the phone call I asked who is suing him and for how much? They won't tell you without getting a "retainer fee" of $250, but they wanted to know about all of the other debt.(none)They could make this problem go away though. The

guy said "I shouldn't be talking to you anyway--its your husband who should be worrying about this."

Without telling him I am an attorney--I mentioned that I had checked and no lawsuit has been filed. Then he decided that maybe it was going to be filed.

I can see how it works--if you owed a lot of debt you might not ask the questions I did, or you might volunteer information. This would be a way to get you to pay them money for what I cannot imagine. Their card warns against Debt Mgmt, Consolidation, Bankruptcy & attorneys but it says "legal documents to protect your bank acct & income"

I will pull our credit report, but is this a scam anyone else has seen?

Comments (17)