SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

A Conversation on Civility

bbstx
9 years ago

I have been a member of the Garden Web community for many years. I have been a registered user since 2007. Before that I was a long time lurker. I have been the recipient of much good and useful advice, some encouraging me to go forward and some cautioning me against a particular course of action. I appreciate all of it.

I appreciate that knowledgeable people have taken time out of their busy day to read and understand my dilemma. I appreciate that they have then taken time to advise me. I am grateful to many people within the GW community.

Lately, however, I've been disheartened at the lack of civility of some posts. I'm not necessarily talking about responses to my own posts because for the most part the comments are helpful. I'm talking about some comments on other threads. Some are so mean and use such inflammatory language, that I cringe when I read them. My heart breaks for the original poster who asked an innocent question only to get berating response.

If you do not agree with what someone is doing, is it really necessary to use vituperative language to say you disagree? Should we even say we disagree? When someone asks, "Should I paint my walls puce or chartreuse?" responding with "Only an idiot would even consider puce or chartreuse!" is neither helpful nor civil.

Yes, posters come here for advice and help, and sometimes the advice isn't what you want to hear. But I dare say no one comes for abuse. If asked "puce or chartreuse?" and we think either puce or chartreuse would be an abomination, should we say nothing? Should we say, "Those are not my favorite colors. How about a nice beige?" Should we say, "Gag! Have you lost your mind?" How should it be addressed?

Should we as a community accept, and except, the ill-mannered? Does it make a difference if the ill-mannered one has something valuable to contribute?

I hope this will be a civil discussion of what constitutes civility in our community.

Comments (53)