hzdeleted_16331601

May7-May 12th updates...

User
12 years ago

5/7_ Tomoko - St Augustine Beach

PT- 3:30

Avg:11

Miles47

left the campground at 7:50 had a north head wind all day. Stopped at Flagler Beach Cafe by the Sea and had a great late breakfast. We eat in camp , usually yogurt and a bagel and peanut butter and coffee. Pete brought a French press so we are really spoiled. We stop and have a hot breakfast in 2 hrs from start or when a likely place appears. This was a great choice. We saw a pod of dolphins as we were parking the bikes. Had an egg cheese ham bagel sandwich and a large OJ. Wasn't very hungry yet today. I try to make sure and get a lot of protein and fat.

Rode to a nice Super 8. Big rooms but $110 a night :(. Went into Old Town with Linda who got a rental car as she is leaving the group to go back to work. Will rejoin us in mid June. Went to a nice outdoor restaurant. The Green Dolphin. Watched the Kentucky Derby and I had a wonderful mahi mahi ceasar salad and home made mac and cheese....2 IPS's and my horse came in 2nd. Good time.

5/8 DAY OFF !!

Got up late and went to the beach. Ran for an hour...saw sea turtle tracks where she had come up and laid eggs. Cleaned my bike. Went to Publix AGAIN !! Showered and ate a great big breakfast in the room from the stuff I bought . Fruit bowl and yogurt and bagel and pb. Rode to Anastasia St park and got our camp site. Pete and I made reservations for kayaking at 4:30 PM Went to the snack bar on the island and Pete shared 1/4 of a chicken quesadilla....yum. Went kayaking and had a great time. Came back in against the tide....good workout. I am HUNGRY !! Great Mother's day.Had calls from all 3 kids. Made a nice couscous dinner with Pete and ate it all with roma tom. and yellow pepper and an avocado., YUM.

5/9- Anastasia - Yulli

PT-6hr

Avg 12

Miles 72

Beautiful ride all day. I rode behind the group today. Needed time to think about some things. Had a bad experience late yesterday with 2 of the members of the group. I am better today after talking a long time to my daughter and to Pete. I won't let the others spoil my trip. They know something is wrong and Pete said something to them so they are being a lot better....DD says she will beat them up if they are mean to her Momma :)

We passed Little Talbot and Amelia Island . All beautiful areas and great pics. Sent them to roselvr. Stopped at a shopping center and got a frappe with espresso and mocha and a large piece homemade sourcream coffee cake.OH WOW....sugar overload but SO GOOD. Last few miles into Yulli were horrible. They are scraping the road and it is ROUGH !!

5/10

PT 4:51

Avg 11.6

Miles approx 62

Yulli -Folkston

Today is DH's 64 th bday. He is at a meditation center in Los Altos CA so no calls . Will wish him well and he will get the note when he comes out on Friday ( tomorrow). Finished the coffee cake...too sweet but so yum. Road terrible and A1A is hell. Stopped at Callahan FL ate at Gammy's. Great food. Went on to St George. Everyone talking aobut the Okeefenokee swamp fire and the air is so smoky. Upper 90's again today and pretty miserable. We stopped at the St mary's river and got a pick for the group of the GA state sign. Now in Folkston. Not much of a town and the motel is a PIT> The Relax Inn...horrible rooms. Did laundry at the nastiest laundromat I have ever ever been in. This better be the worst stop we have this trip. Had a passable meal at the buffet at the Okee...restaurant.

5/11

PT can't remember 5hr approx

Avg- 12

miles 63

Folkston - Patterson

Well this is a sweet town but boy there is nothing here. 3 of the group stayed out at the Lions Club park baseball fields. Pete and I came into town and set up behind the fire/EMS /Chamber of Commerce/Police station. No bathrooms. So we have the Flash Foods gas station for that and they are open all night. Had a shower at the Shell station truck stop a 1/2 mile away. Very clean and cost $6. A first for me. Got juice. and ice cream. Camped out at the Chicken Shack. Nice girls work here and let Pete and I set up shop for the duration. GNATS !! All of GA is overrun with them. it is a plauge. They are so horrible you can't be outside till after dusk. We charged our cells and wrote in our journals and had dinner and watched TV and read our books. Was great. I gave the girls extra money for being so sweet. We started at 6:20 AM and still couldn't beat the heat. It was 93 when I went to the Shell to shower and 95 when I came out !! On the way to Folkston Pete and I stopped in Hortense GA. At the IGA we got a great bbq sandwich and also I got a huge banana pudding for later...yum ! Had chicken salad sandwich and home made potato salad at the Chicken shack...it was great !

5/12

PT 5hr

Avg approx 12.5

miles 65 approx

Fantastic ride. Pete and I started very early...6:15 AM . woke up at 5:15 and broke camp and went to the gas station and got cold Gatorade and ice and OJ. Had a yogurt. Not hungry. We rode in the early dawn with lots of fog. The air was very cool and damp but gorgeous. We had smooth rodes almost all the way. Only one stretch of shake and bake LOL ( rough pavement ). We met the others when we stopped to eat at a small cafe in can't remember...had a grea tbreakfast buffet. Alsmost all the food was gone so she made us all fresh. 2 sunnyside up eggs and sausage and a pancake and a large buscuit and jelly and a large OJ and coffee. YUM ! We rode on past gorgeous fields and pecan groves and corn. Irrigation everywhere and all the ponds are LOW. No rain at all in this area.

The last 20 miles me and Old Paint ( my bike ) got a wild hair and we tore up the hills and got to town quick. We are in Reidsville at the GA State park here. Beautiful but GNATS !!! Will stay at the library till they close and then we are getting dinner at a place right outside the park....The Cowboy !! Steak and seafood. Miss you all and am out of time...eagle woman...c

Comments (8)