SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexjoujou_gw

Traingulo or LM Engineered - Advice Needed!

AlexJouJou
11 years ago

Hello!

First thanks to all that post here as there is a wealth of information.

I am looking for flooring for my new house. I want to do the LR/DR and 2 bedrooms upstairs (as well as the hallway upstairs). I have tile in kitchen and both baths. The sq ft is about 850 or so with the surfaces I want to floor.

It is a concrete block house and the area has high humidity in the summer (MD/DC area) so I will be getting a dehumidifier and making sure the house is 40-60% at all times if possible. It has baseboard heating and a through the wall A/C unit. All subfloor is concrete with the old asbestos vinyl tile (9") underneath so it will need to be likely smoothed. Supposedly it is in good shape.

I've looked at and considered all types of flooring (except sheet vinyl). Currently I'd like to keep the budget to $8K give or take a thousand or two either way.

I've found Triangulo Brazilian Chestnut 5/16" 5" wide engineered on sale at a local flooring store for $1.99. I've put the sample through some tests but I'm not someone with super wood knowledge. I'm not quite as fond of the way this was sliced as the grain image is a little busy. However for this price it is a really good value.

At the same store he also had a really pretty LM Flooring Kendall Smooth Maple engineered. This is a 9ply and 1/2" wide so it appears much sturdier than the Triangulo. It is on sale for $3.00 or so a sq ft. The grain is subtle (as Maple seems to be) and it has also gone through tests with me. It is FSC certified which I like.

Both have aluminum oxide finishes (not so fond as, IMHO, it lends itself to the plasticky feel but I think this must be very standard).

I would be putting a vapor barrier and cork underlayer down. The Triangulo can be floated - but the guy said the LM cannot and he'd glue it.

I cannot find many reviews of either of these products. If I had my perfect choice I would actually choose bamboo as I like the look better for the LR/DR and choose cork for the bedrooms. However all the information on the net scares me away from both of those and I only know one person who has cork in the kitchen though he does love it (tiles not floating planks).

I'd love input on either brand and whether the 5/16" product is really thick enough to provide a good floor. It is only 3 ply and looks so incredibly thin and, well, insubstantial!

Comments (7)