SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smallsea

How would you rate quality of American Upholstery furniture?

smallsea
15 years ago

We're considering AU for a sleeper sofa + loveseat. Everything I've read here (and elsewhere) suggests that for a sleeper sofa, this is the way to go. If you weren't buying a sleeper sofa and just bought AU as a regular sofa, how would you rate quality?

The sales person suggested this would only last 10-15 years, which is a shorter lifespan than I'd like for furniture and for this price point. If I'm only going ot get 10 years, I'd rather spend less money on something else with a 10-year lifespan, or spend the equivalent amount for a sofa that's not a sleeper (and have the inlaws sleep on an air mattress!)

We're buying a sleeper sofa and a loveseat, so the loveseat wouldn't have the sleeper mechanisms - just the regular construction. It seems that they don't use 8-way hand-tied springs and other indicators of quality, so I wonder how these hold up on their own merit as pieces of furniture? (ie, I'm wondering if even though these are the best sleeper sofa, perhaps all sleepers are crap so this is just the best of a crappy lot?)

Thanks for any help or guidance you can provide. I've learned a ton on this forum already and appreciate your good advice!

Comment