SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
t454

Can I install ventless logs in Heatilator EL36?

T454
12 years ago

I recently bought a home that has half a fireplace. It is fairly new home (2006) the previous owners didn't have a clue so builder did like he wanted, looks like to me. The fireplace was never used, which seemed weird, I asked about it and previous owners told me it was a "ventless fireplace like they sell at Lowes".

Now I am ready to buy some ventless logs for it (It was never used nor did it have a log set) I check model on tag underside it is Heatilator EL36. The damper is screwed shut and there is no flue/vent pipe to roof, which posed my first question to previous owner. From what I have read, the box is for wood burning, and of course would then need venting. I do not want to burn wood or install flue, don't want to knock wall out of living room.

There are also (2) metal strips laying inside on log grate??

My question, can I install a ventless log set in this firebox, even though Heatilator decided not to approve ventless logs for any of their fireboxes?

If I have to change firebox, it will be later on before I can buy one, what is good brand of ventless firebox that will fit same opening in wall? Thanks.

Comment