SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atlbrent

Wood Burning vs Vented logs...

atlbrent
16 years ago

I have an interesting situation but could be manageable. My wife wants a nice looking fire on the weekend when home and we currently have vented logs in our full fireplace. The home was built in 1975 and has the original fireplace and unknown dated vented logs.

I am torn between trying to figure out how to get the vented logs in working order (what the hell the sand is there for, the vermiculite, and fear of gas spilling into the house) or ripping out this old setup and installing a new gate and gate pipe for a real wood burning fireplace. I am seeking some advice from those out there on the forum and considering these factors:

- Chimney appears to be in good order but would need to be checked out by chimney sweep.

- I am pretty experienced with working around the house but hesitant to do anything with either combustibles or electricity.

- In a move of genius and prior to the fireplace need discussion, we mounted our 42 HDTV above the fireplace, about 8" above the mantle and 3ft from the top of the opening to the fireplace.

- The vented logs appear to be good although they look dated. There is a built in screen and door combo for the fireplace opening.

- We are currently on Natural Gas ($.99 per therm fixed through winter) and wood appears to be around $150-$200 for a full cord of good wood.

What are the best options given the experience of those out there who have similar situations?

Thanks!

~Brent

Comments (4)