SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roadtrip_gw

Old fireplace.. new to home ownership

roadtrip
18 years ago

Hello there. I have a few questions and hoped I could gather some guidence and information by posting here.

We have an older fireplace/chimney in our home built around 1920. There is no damper and I don't beleive there is even a cap so basically we have a open hole to the outside. I know the masonary in the chinmey is in need of repair as well. The roofer we had inspect the roof was able to pull a brick loose while on the roof. I'm thinking we'll need a liner and cap. I've read that there are caps that have the damper to solve problems like mine. At the least we are in need of ideas of how to close this off for the winter so we don't heat the outdoors, not to mention the cost of natural gas this winter.

Looking up the chimney I see is a small slit in the center (opening where one would logically think the smoke would go up), but there are also larger open voids to the left and right of this "slit" that I don't understand. The chimney sits back from the firebox and is not overtop the area one would burn the wood, so perhaps this is why I'm not seeing one distinctive opening to the chimney.

With this design, would this make it more difficult or impossable to install a wood burning insert? I have read this is a much more efficient way to heat a room as you loose much of that heat up the chimney the with a standard set-up.

Suggestions and comments welcome,

Shannon

Comments (4)