SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wintertime_gw

What to do with Maple Flooring

wintertime
15 years ago

I have a flooring dilema.

My house is maple hardwood on the stairs and the living/kitchen/dining as well as the upstairs hall. The bedrooms are carpet, baths lino. Total area including beds/baths but not stairs is ~1350sqft. Place is a four story walk-up with the living/dining/kitchen being open concept split level. 2 beds and 2 baths are upstairs on one level.

I am planning a reno that will redo the two beds/bathrooms (on second floor) and the kitchen.

I need to decide whether to replace the flooring in the whole house or somehow make the exhisting maple work. It is in so-so shape with a lot of wear on the stair treads and some water damage around the patio doors. I want to tile the master en-suite and am seriously considering extending that tile into the master bed. I hate carpet and am eliminating the carpet in both bedrooms.

The kitchen reno is going to involve removal of one stand of cabinets to make a walk through, so after demo there will be no floor there that I would have to somehow 'patch' if I keep the existing maple.

Options are:

-Remove maple and replace all areas that are currently maple with bamboo. Including guest bedroom off of upstairs hall. Tile master bed/bath and second bath.

-Keep maple for stairs and living (lower of split level) and put new flooring(??) in kitchen or somehow patch hole in kitchen left from cabinet removal with maple.

-Tile whole thing, top to bottom in large diameter tile (24x24).

I really can't decide what is best from a budget and look perspective. The aesthetic of the maple doesn't really appeal to me, it's quite yellow. I hate to waste wood but am having a hard time picturing leaving it in some places and having piecemeal floors elsewhere...

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Comment (1)