SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowrider_gw

Harman Advance Problems HELP!!

snowrider
16 years ago

Hello everyone, this is my first post. We added an addition to our home last year. My father-in-law met a man who sold Harman stoves and immediately fell in love with these things. He put one in his house, and his garage, and he talked me into putting one in my home. I wanted a gas fired fireplace, but he talked me into the Harman because they were bullet proof, nothing ever ails them, never any problems.. well.. I am soooo soory I listened to him because it has been nothing but problems.....

I went with the Harman Advance. It's a pretty unit, and my wife and I liked it. I would like to preface this by saying that I am very anal abouyt everything I own. I break this unit down and clean it every two weeks.

Problem 1) After one month, it started to make this high pitch squeeling sound when the feed motor was on, to the point we had to shut it off. I called my father-in-laws new best friend, the Harman dealer. His response, "never heard of a problem before...sounds like the feed motor. Come up and get one." I went up, changed it myself, and the noise went away. After a month, it came back, got another one, etc.. noise came back, and the dealer said he found out that the auger shaft can make that noise so he told me to wiggle it and oil the outside of the bearing, and to also oil the hopper lever. I did that and the noise is still there sometimes, but now very infrequent, but it is still annoying. I guess the dealers daughters stove was doing the same thing so he figured it out... but i can still hear it.

Problem 2) I would say every 5 minutes or so the stove will make this loud metal bang to the point you can hear it anywhere in the house, almost as if the glass is going to smash on the door of the stove. Called the dealer.. "oh that's normal, just a pellet getting caught now and then, not to worry..." it does this quite a bit to the point if people are over they say what the hell was that... oh just the pellet stove...

Problem 3) The hopper is now smoking when we fill it. We open the glass, and it's smokey. The pellets are not hot as I feel around making sure that they are not going to ignite. I called the dealer.. "oh that's just smoke getting by, nothing to worry about...."

Problem 4) The burn pot is really carboning up to the point we have to scrape it every day. I don't remember it being that bad last season. I have it set on auto mode, room temp dial half way, temp set on 70', feed rate on 3. I am burning Pinnacle Pellets at the moment, but I have tried Cube X and Northeast??? they are burning the same. I am also seeing smoke from time to time out of the flu. I have the stove direct vented. I cleaned all of the pipes, made sure my air intake is free and clear, etc....

Of course my father in law is in denail because nothing ever ails them..., and the Harman dealer isn't helping me out.

Can anyone help?? Is this normal?? This thing is driving me crazy...not to mention my back ache from lugging around these pellets!!! I have only owned this for one year....

I would really appreciate any feedback.

Comments (13)