SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolbarrel07

Staining Red Oak Floors (new and old woven together)?

16 years ago

1950's vintage old (and in bad shape) red oak has been sanded and "it is what it is". Where there had been a fire and other damage like buckling (probably from water) we had to buy and install new red oak. The contrast between them post-sanding is very visible, especially in front room which is the entry point of the house.

We're thinking of staining all the hardwood flooring with a dark color, like MiniWax's "Early American". We have lots of windows so a dark color won't be that terrible...but of course we'd choose to go lighter if we didn't still have some dark splotchy spots here and there.

So...my question is: Should I use an oil-based stain or can I go with water-based? Which has best penetration and is most long-lasting and least likely to fade with sunlight from all those windows? Then...if I use oil-based stain, do I have to necessarily go with oil-based polyurethane? Or can water-based poly go over an oil-based stain?

Btw I researched Bona products but they're not carried here, and they cost so much...plus they'd have to be shipped here. I hate the smell of oil-based anything, and I also have a mild case of COPD so prefer to protect my lungs. So that's why I prefer to use water-based products...but I don't want to have to do this over and over...I want hdwd floor coatings that will have the best longevity.

Thanks for your advice!

Comment