SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeffcat_gw

Refinishing old red oak floors with carpet glue

jeffcat
12 years ago

Well I am refinishing my mother's old red oak floors after being obscured by carpeting for 30+ years, but I have a bit of an issue in one of the rooms. She put down berber carpeting down but they glued it down to the floor with carpet glue. Now I am refinishing that 2" red oak in Minwax colonial maple stain and more than likely Minwax water based/oil modified poly. Now I am without a doubt purchasing a floor sander....probably a 3-4 rotating head floor sander to help level the floor out, but how do I get all the carpet glue up. I know the simple answer to this is to sand it, but I have some concerns as to how well the sander will do with that after pad sanding around the edges of the wall. All that ends up happening, is the glue heats up and sticks to the sandpaper making the sandpaper useless. It's like a giant tackcloth. Now it may be different on the floor sander, but I don't know. Is there anyway to get the stuff up or would I be ok floor sanding it and hoping it doesn't gum up all the sandpaper on the floor sander?

As a side note, I was going to make the floors in the home rather seamless and fill the gaps. What is a good trowel filler for the gaps when covering the ENTIRE floor? I know the 16oz stainable wood fillers work, but I'm leveling the entire floor with no gaps to make it seamless or almost seamless. I've heard good things about Bondo auto body fillers on floors, but would like a second opinion. Thanks.

Comments (16)