SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ratherbesewing

Dissappointed with a bank

ratherbesewing
10 years ago

I will try to make this brief. My college aged son (whom I support) has an ATM account with a bank. Because he goes to school out of state, this bank is the ONLY bank that is in my city and his college town (therefore no extra ATM charges to get cash). I urged him to move his small savings account to the same bank for convenience while he is working at home this summer. Instead of him opening a passbook savings account and simply moving his money, the bank convinced him to "upgrade" to a combination savings/checking which came with ANOTHER ATM card (something called a virtual wallet). Two ATM cards seems like a disaster waiting to happen!The bank says the advantages are: 1) better interest (my opinion: barely noticeable) and 2) bill paying (ridiculous because I pay all his bills). So, I go into the bank with him, we close this "new" account and open a passbook savings account. Now, here's the clincher: the bank charges $25 to close this type of account! This fee was in writing so I am prepared to pay it, but I am disappointed in this major bank. So, should I chalk this up to a learning experience for all or go to the bank Monday and speak to the manager and state my disappointment with their methods? On a side note, the bank clerk who handled this change tried to encourage my son to keep this new account by saying "You are an adult and if you still want this account, you should keep it open". Give me your thoughts.

Comments (31)