SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maxim_2009

Suggestions for Walk-in fire places

maxim_2009
9 years ago

Hi All,

I moved into a 250 yr old farm house about 7 years ago. Many days of carful restoration and just the right amount of bringing it from the 18th century to the 21st century later, I am stuck on what to do with two large (14' w X 53" h ) walk-in fire places in the foyer/setting room and the dinning room. I have two other working fireplaces one with a gas stove and the other a straight wood fire place. Both of the walk-in FPs and flues are in faily good condition based on the previous owner's repairs. I'm trying to find the right ballance of practicle use and potential emergency use. I have considered several options to include; a wood burning cook stove as an emergency cooking and heat option (might look a bit funny) in one to a gas log set in another, a straight forward wood burning stove, Great Wall of Fire fire back and grate. Another option would be to outfit them with the hardware our ancesters used and cook and heat from an open fire. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals