SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
somelinda

Wood floor finish appears streaked

somelinda
10 years ago

Hello,

We have had select grade red oak floor installed and the finishing process has been going on for the past several days with the family out of the house. This is part of an overall kitchen remodel with a GC and his sub-contractors on the job.

The second coat of poly has been applied and when we snuck back today to look through the windows I wasn't happy about what I saw. There appears to be swooping streaks across the planks that look to me like sloppy stain application.

1. Is it my imagination, or do you see it too?

2. What could I expect to be a reasonably remedy?

3. I looked closely at some other areas and am fairly sure I saw sander marks and at least one unfilled gouge in the select grade wood. Is it worth bringing up those imperfections? What is it realistic to expect?

The floors were stained with Duraseal Quick Coat 2 Hour Penetrating Finish in Jacobean and finished with 2 coats of Duraseal Polyurethane in Satin. There may or may not been an application of SW ProMar E-Z Sanding Lacquer Sealer. The can was delivered to the house by the GC, but I am not sure if it was used during the finishing process.

I know that the stain was applied some time Saturday and the second coat of poly had been applied before 11 am Sunday.

I've only been able to examine the floor closest to the windows and I am so nervous about what I am going to see when I can actually walk inside and see it all.

Thank you so much for any feedback you can offer!

Comments (5)