SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stir_fryi

Selling used furniture on Craigslist

stir_fryi SE Mich
16 years ago

What a frustrating experience! We just replaced our 12 year old Ethan Allen couches. We were going to put the old ones on the curb and my friend said, No way!! - put them on Craigslist. They are very neutral and there is nothing wrong with them other than they are not nearly as firm as my new couches.

Well, all I get is inquiry after inquiry and nobody ever responds back. "Are they still available", "Do you have pets?", "What color are they?" , etc... I am convinced that some people respond to so many ads they don't even remember what item you are talking about when you give them an answer.

My favorite one is about the pets. I always respond honestly, that yes, we have had a cat for the last year. He does not tend to sit on these couches but certainly has had contact with them. Several people have replied that they have severe allergies. Duh -- do you think you ought not buy used furniture if you have severe allergies? How do you know I am honest or for that matter, that I am the original owner of the furniture?

I have already marked them down $150 from my original price. I am trying to convince my DH to give it one more week.

Comments (5)