SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacy3_gw

Dinner party menu ?

stacy3
16 years ago

Hey, can you tell I'm entertaining? I'm monopolizing the forum with my seemingly endless questions - lol.

Anyway.

Saturday, two other families are coming over for a "Valentine" celebration - I'm always ready for "something" in February with the cold weather - it's nice to break it up.

Kids are taken care of with pizza.

For once, it appears that no one has any food issues - YEA!

Ever since I got suggestions here for "guest" meals, I have wanted to make SharonCB's individual beef wellingtons. And for this holiday, I could put little pastry hearts on top...:-)

I thought of just pairing with a simple roasted veggie.

OK, so as I was thinking of what else to have, I started thinking about Beef Wellington being a little "retro" and thought, maybe a retro themed dinner? Without getting too carried away...We could do a chocolate fondue for dessert.

So here are my questions:

~If I do the "retro" thing, what would be good appetizers? Really just snacks to eat hanging out in the kitchen before hand - this won't be a big formal thing what with 6 kids running around 9 yrs old and younger.

~I have never eaten pate except for AnnT's tuna pate. I don't think I can buy it, can I? No specialty stores near here. Would BJ's have it? Can I make it?

~Should I scrap the "retro" thing because retro and Valentine is too many themes?

~If I do, any great ideas on what to have? I have too much information at my disposal sometimes and get overwhelmed...:-)

Here is Sharon's recipe - she had a gorgeous photo of a NY Eve dinner - with the year spelled out on the top of each, in puff pastry

INDIVIDUAL BEEF WELLINGTONS This was for our New Year's Eve Dinner. - Sharon CB

For two Wellingtons:

1/3 lb mushrooms (150 grams) cleaned and chopped very finely

scant 1/4 cup minced onion or shallots

2 TBS sherry

2 TBS butter

2 TBS finely chopped parsley

2 TBS fine herb paté ( or other good quality liver paté )

salt and fresh ground pepper

puff pastry - fresh or frozen - 1 large or 2 small sheets

2 filet mignon

few drops oil

1 egg well beaten

1). Sauté first 5 ingredients with some salt & pepper in pan until all moisture is absorbed and it resembles a paste. Take off stove and blend with paté, mixing well.

2). Sear filets in hot pan in oil a minute on each side to seal. Let cool a minute or two. (This is optional - leave out if you like the meat quite rare.)

3) Spread paté/mushroom Duxelle mixture on topside of each filet.

4). Divide puff pastry in two and roll out until you have a round or oval shape large enough to cover top and sides of each filet. Cover each filet with pastry and tuck edges well under until nearly meeting on bottomside. Use extra pastry bits to form leaves or pastry decorative designs for top. Brush pastry with beaten egg and press designs onto top, also brushing them with egg.

5) Bake in preheated oven 375 F for about 15 - 20 minutes or until golden.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!