SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zshopper_gw

kentucky derby-hatless!!!!

zshopper
14 years ago

You wont believe how hard this has been. I did get a yellow Tahari dress, sort of sheath, it fits like a glove and I really like it. And today I bought a white linen dress for the Oaks with pink multicolored sandals. But I just had a disagreement with my husband because I CANNOT find a hat!!! I want a white hat with black band around the brim with yellow and white flowers with a polka dot ribbon. Nice I think. I tried calling and email Deescrafts in Kentucky and they dont get my emails. They will custom make my hat because my head is too small for an off the rack hat. Can you imagine I DO NOT HAVE A HAT and cannot find one. Dee's keep saying they will work with me but they never get back to me. I guess I will go hatless. I'm getting tired because all this shopping on my lunch hour is getting to me. I dont eat because I'm running and running. I just want everything in place so I dont have to worry. Oh and I need a tote bag, saw one online awhile ago and CANNOT find that either. It was white with polka dot bows, very cheap. You will see me there I WILL BE THE HATLESS PERSON THAT DOESNT LOOK NICE.

Comments (21)

• yborgal
    14 years ago

Okay, it's time for Plan B in case Plan A doesn't work. You have to have a hat!!!!

This hat isn't fantastic, but with the right embellishments it could be great. The best thing is it's a girl size, which probably would fit.

You could easily remove the scarf and replace it with a band of black ribbon. And certainly you could find silk flowers in the colors you want. Most upscale silk flower places have some absolutely gorgeous ones. Then I'm sure a seamstress could sew the flowers on and you have a hat in reserve just in case nothing else works for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: white hat

• golddust
    14 years ago

Now how did I know Mona would be here, helping? Who needs a stylist when we have Monablair? Mona, you rock!

• Related Discussions

Kentucky Derby

Q

Comments (4)
    My granddaughter was in the stands in Kentucky when Barbaro broke from the gate last year, and she says she will never forget the sickening feeling of that day. She says it was as if noone really understood in the first instant what had actually happened and in the next instant everyone knew what it meant or could mean. The horse that broke my heart when she went down was Ruffian in a two-horse race against Foolish Pleasure in 1975. I'll watch the Derby. I LOVE the Derby. I understand that Barbaro's full brother was born this week. Maybe we'll see him in a few years. Here is a link that might be useful: Ruffian
    ...See More

Kentucky Derby ticket question

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks Caliloo. I didn't know anything about them. Now, I just have to figure out how to set it up, since it's an entire package with tickets to the Derby and Oaks and hotel...
    ...See More

A Crafty Kentucky Derby Hat .... Help!

Q

Comments (5)
    I'm jealous!!! This sounds like so much fun. THere are so many things you could do. I wouldn't know which idea to choose. I think you could do sparklers made out of metallic ribbon if you're still interested in this idea. Or something on a spring. A patriotic theme would be fun. Or long feathers, zebra stripes, birds and nests. A theme from a child's nursery rhyme would be fun like the "Old Woman Who lived in a Shoe", "Hey, Diddle, Diddle", or the one about a man living in a crooked house. I'm not sure how wel you'd be wearing the hat so I'd get a comfortable hat as a base and build from there. You could always use your paper mache for that.
    ...See More

Kentucky Derby pictures

Q

Comments (28)
    Per your request, here is the picture of the shoes I wore for the Oaks. They were comfortable at first but by the end of the day my feet were burning. But who cares they looked so nice.
    ...See More
  • yborgal
    14 years ago

Aw, shucks. Thanks, golddust.

• yborgal
    14 years ago

What color are your shoes?

• yborgal
    14 years ago

Here is a link that might be useful: tote

• zshopper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mona I just emailed the place for the tote, I love it -it would be perfect, how you find these sites is amazing. I just wanted to know if I ordered it, would I get it by next Wednesday? I will let you know when I receive the email. The hat lady from Kentucky called me last night but my cell phone was on mute, my luck is a little off lately. She said she would help me so I'll call her today and see what we can do. I will email everyone tonight to let you know. Do you have any idea what I can wear (cheaply) on my head for Friday the Oaks. I dont want to spend another 200 for another hat it has to be pink. I was thinking of buying a comb and making a fascinator myself for that day. Any ideas?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Have you looked at the hats from berkeleyhats? They have a lot of reasonably priced options. Maybe they would work with you for what you want.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I also have a small head - look in the children's dept & young teens - look at bridal (flower girl). Also do the opposite here and look in the "cheapie" stores for after Easter children's.
    If you are creative, look at Michaels & Joanns craft stores. Once you find the right size form - the accessorizing to make it fabulous will be easy.
    Mona is better then any personal shopper.

• yborgal
    14 years ago

I don't know the style of your dress, so this may not be appropriate..... But, it's very inexpensive and it will fit because it attaches by comb or clip.

I'm thinking if you "Buy It Now" it takes 2 days to make the hat and the seller can be asked to overnight it to your home. You should have it my Wednesday.

Do you have a PayPal account for an instant payment?

{{gwi:1506452}}

Here is a link that might be useful: comes in pink

• no_green_thumb
    14 years ago

I have been following this thread - although I have nothing to contribute - just want to say that you will be beautiful whatever you decide, Zshopper. I was thinking the same thing as posted above - create something yourself. Buy a hat and embellish. Buy a comb and embellish. It might be so much easier and cheaper.
    Mona, I have so enjoyed all of your posts regarding Z and also a couple of others helping people. You could be a personal shopper - maybe you are. They have been such fun threads.
    What I am trying to figure out is why does this have to be so hard. Why is it so hard to find anything appropriate? I have been looking for dresses for my son's wedding - end of June. I would like one for the morning, one for the evening, one for the rehearsal dinner. I have walked hundreds of miles trying to find something. I don't want to be sleeveless, backless, whatever the current style is. I bought two dresses for the evening - couldn't decide, but both went back. They have glitter I guess glued and it just falls off. There is even a tag on them that says that the "nature of the fabric is to shed". What? These dresses were not cheap - I took them back and the sales lady said I could take them outside and spray with hairspray. What? $200 for a dress to spray with hairspray. No thanks. I did find two for the wedding and now I cannot find shoes. It just never ends. So, Zshopper, I feel your pain, but in the end you will be beautiful and have a great time. Have fun!!

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

I tried on a hair band that had a fancy flower such as the one Mona showed,
    it looked adorable, the flower was on one side.
    I might be going to a derby day in Houston next week, and I would go back and buy that band if hats seem to be the norm. Mitch is not a hat person .

• zshopper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is what Dee's emailed me. Originally I wanted the black one but when I saw the pink one I really liked the style, she said it would sit upon my head. So girls what if I get an ivory white hat that same style and put black polka dot band with yellow and white flowers and a tulle veil -dotted and one black feather. I thought the black one looked a little like a hat the queen would wear. Looking forward to what your suggestions are.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

I think your idea is excellent; I would go easy on the flowers, keep them light as the ones on the pink hat, no tulle, no feather. The black band will look sharp and crisp.

• yborgal
    14 years ago

I love both styles, with the black one being my favorite....just as it is.

If you do get the pink hat style, I'd be hesitant to go with an ivory color. Sometimes yellow paired with ivory makes the ivory look like a dirty white. Does it come in white?

Are you getting the tote bag I posted? If so, that's a black/white combo.
    If you add a polka dot band, it's likely going to be black with white dots, not ivory.
    I think you need to be consistant with the color...either ivory OR white, not a mix.

Shoes? Black or are you going with white?

What are you doing for a pink hat? Did you find one?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I love that black hat, it's beautiful as is!

• zshopper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I did go on the website for the tote but in order for it to come to my home I would have to pay 24.00, at least that is how I understood it. I love it though. I did contact Dee's and she said she will email me a few hats and hold them for me and when I go down on Thurs morning I can try a few on to see what looks best and it will only take 30 minutes to decorate it. I want a white hat and she said she was unpacking some boxes and will email me a few to see which ones she should hold. So I will be just as surprised as everyone else on Derby day. Our horse (philly) Funny Feeling might be running at the Oaks not the main race, just one of the races, we're still not sure, I did buy a white linen dress with multicolored pink sandals (Mona you would love them) they will put aside a pink hat for me also. I will get the pink jewelry for accessories. Well to let you know about Mission Impazible. He is working out at Churchill and is "wowing" some commentators. The only thing is he works out every sat or sun and it is supposed to rain there this weekend and the trainers are not too happy about running in the mud, dont want to break or injure their legs. And Mona everyone is right you are such a great help, I feel like you are a friend and I dont even know you!

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

I am not a fashionista- I depend on my DD. I am not a hat person and would be the only one there without a hat( unless they wouldn't let me in without one LOL)
    In case the hats don't work could you wear a classic Jackie O scarf in black white and yellow and big fabulous sunglasses? or no? anyhoo, like I said I don't wear hats although the ones in this thread are glorious!

• les917
    14 years ago

I think the pink hat will overwhelm your small head and face, and build. I would think the black one would be a better choice, but I would also like to see you consider a fascinator - it is what the English ladies often choose for attending these kinds of events, and would be so fun, but a much better choice with your physical size.

Something like this, with a couple of yellow garden roses tucked in (silk, of course) would be stunning!

fascinator

or a mini-derby like this - how fun with some yellow worked in:

fascinator 2

• zshopper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Les those facinators are really pretty, and for the Oaks I was thinking about getting one in pink. But it is too late for me to order anything anywhere because I'm leaving next Thursday. I did talk to the Hat shop last night and decided they would hold a few small hats not decorated and when I get down there I will try them on and decide which looks best on me. She said it would only take 30 minutes to decorate the hat. I'm not too picky about the flowers, yellow/white with black ribbon with a veil of some sort is what I want. So I guess I'll wait to Thurs morning to decide, at least I know there will be a few hats waiting for me to try on. The black one is a little too much for me. I wanted a small crown and a nice sized brim, but again what looks nicer on me will count more.

• yborgal
    14 years ago

z, it sounds like your outfits are coming together quite nicely. How wonderful that you'll have some undecorated hats waiting for you. And knowing they can be put together in less than an hour is an added bonus.

Sometimes, shopping under stress can produce fantastic results and this is one of those times.

Relax, and enjoy the races. We'll be looking for you in the owner's box and in the Winner's Circle(s).

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Those fascinators are fabulous -- the mini top hat is just so much fun! Makes me want a tall glass of champagne --