SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texwing

White Oak hardwoods now going down need help!

texwing
15 years ago

Hello to all, I am in the process of putting down 3/4 inch unfinished white oak hardwood flooring, no. 2 grade, in a small lake cabin. The sub floor in 3/4 inch plywood on 16 inch joist centers. The wood is going down great, but as this is not my primary business, I have several questions relating to the upcoming finishing of that floor. By the way, this is a second floor.

1. The hardwoods will be run into the kitchen and upstairs, seldom used guest bathroom with shower. What can I do to insure moisture resistance with occasional spills? Extra coats of urethane? Can I glue the tongue and grooves with yellow glue to help seal the planks internally? Comments are appreciated.

2. Any reason not to use staples (from pneumatic floor stapler) every four or five inches instead of every eight inches? It would seem the more the better.

3. Underlayment: I am using roofing felt as it seems to be the standard procedure..While protecting the bottom of the wood from moisture, it would also seem to help keep the wood from drying out in from top side spills and such in the bathroom area-comments?

4. Finish coat: Kelly Moore makes an acrylic urethane call Kel-thane, water based, that I would prefer to use simply because we have used it on the wood walls, and everywhere else in the cabin, including an upstairs harwood floor with little traffic. There is alot of glass, so some areas of the floor will see some sunlight through low E glass.

Anything comments on using this product?

5. This No. 2 white oak has alot of small imperfections and some worm holes, that's fine since we wanted a rustic look. When it comes time to fill the imperfections, is there anything wrong with not filling the minor imperfections? Holes will need to be filled, but do any other guidelines exist on filling other imperfections?

Sorry for all the questions, but this floor is going down fast and your help is appreciated.

Comments (4)