SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sailormass

Barcalounger v Lane v Best or other recliner advice

sailormass
12 years ago

Hi--I think I've done my homework,and I've read other posts on gardenweb about recliners. I know that the general consensus is that a Hancock Moore or Bradlington Young is the best, and I am sure that they are worth the money.

My problem is that I'm buying a new house and I simply have a very limited budget for the few new pieces of furniture I'm buying. I need to buy something in my price range now, and then I'm hoping when my business picks up again in a few years, I'll be able to buy something higher-quality that will last a long time.

I need to buy two leather recliners. I'm not even mentioning La z boy because, even though I got a pair in the early nineties that lasted forever, I gather their quality has plummeted.

The three recliners I'm now looking at are: Lane's Havana (carried by my local Macy's); Barcalounger's Regency (carried by a reputable local store) and Best's Brodie.

The Lane was very comfortable and offered very good lumbar support. The back cushion went all the way down the seat--no gaps by your tailbone when you recline. Leather quality seemed excellent. Downside: it was obvious that the fabric had been stapled rather carelessly on the bottom and the frame seemed fine, but not fantastic.

The Barcalounger appeared to have excellent padding, nice leather wrapped around the entire chair, great stitching, a down-blend seat. It's in their "vintage reserve" collection, which I think is their premium line. It had a Leggett and Platt mechanism and the back cushions unzipped (I guess so that you could put more stuffing in them if you wanted). The lower back cushion did not quite extend all the way down my back when I reclined (granted, I reclined almost to a sleeping position). The recliner took some force to close.

The Best also had a Leggett and Platt reclining mechanism and seemed to be very well constructed, in terms of stitching, quality of leather, very little plywood and more hard wood in the part of the frame I could see. My local store had it only in the electric motion model, which was great, but I am a bit leery of whether that will go kaput after the one-year warranty on it expires.

The most comfortable, hands-down, was the Best. It's the same price as the lane, but three hundred dollars less than the Barcalounger. I can spring for the extra money for the Barcalounger if you folks think it's worth it.

I did stop by the la z boy store and sat in some very comfortable chairs, but they were quite expensive and I'm leery of spending that money for them if their quality is now so poor.

I should add that Best, Barcalounger and Lane all claim that these recliners are assembled in the USA with some foreign-made parts.

To summarize:

Best--most comfortable and economical, but I know little about the brand and am unsure about the life-span of the electric reclining mechanism.

Lane--good price, comfortable, very stylish.

Barcalounger--excellent padding, all leather, unsure about lumbar support, more expensive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm not really interested at looking at other brands right now--these are my choices. Thanks!

Comments (22)