SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoh

Sofa leather vs fabric (both high-end)

woodyoh
16 years ago

Anyone have opinions regarding leather vs fabric? I am looking at purchasing either an H&M leather sofa/tilt chair/ottoman or a Highland House sofa/chair/ottoman in a fabric from our local fine furniture store. Our salesperson told me that the frames were nearly identical and the only difference was the leather vs. fabric. Both seem really comfortable and I was told the frames & 8 way hand-tied springs would last "forever". The hangup of course is the cost difference of about $2000. I know the leather will last longer, but is it enough to justify the extra cost. Does installing new fabric on a couch 15 yrs from now negate the cost difference? Another factor is that I have two young children, ages 6 and 1, and should I be leaning one way over another because of them? Am I crazy for looking at these nicer furniture lines with 2 young children? I've considered buying something like a Flexsteel now, getting 10yrs out of it hopefully, and then upgrading once the kids are grown.

I really appreciate all opinions/advice or any similar experiences you can share. Thank you.

Comments (3)