SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrykbee

Classic Leather vs. American Leather vs. Crate and Barrel (Lee?)

mrykbee
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Today a furniture store owner offered me a great deal ($2500) on a floor model Classic Leather sofa that my husband LOVED. The price for a new one in the same grade leather (2) was $3900, and they had the same sofa in a grade 1 leather on sale for $2800 but that grade 1 one did not seem quite as nice (not sure why) or as comfortable (very puzzling--what does this mean?). I loved sitting on it--it was the most comfortable of ALL we've sat on-- but-- here's the problem-- I don't love the color of the floor sample which you can see below. It's much darker than what I had in mind for my fantasy room. I brought home a swatch and although it's blue in the store the swatch looks black in my living room! But the price is so much better than the other two sofas I found elsewhere and it seems better made as well. 8 way hand tied and Grade 2 leather. It has the straight top instead of this arched top but otherwise it looks like this from their website:

Previously I had found this American Leather Parker sofa which is $3770 and also VERY comfortable to me however I haven't been able to get my husband into that store and any sofas he did see that are similar didn't appeal to him that much. I feel like if I could get him to sit on one he'd like it. I like the butterscotch color. The saleswoman told me "We don't have sales." So this is the price. Not 8 way hand tied.

I also like this one from Crate and Barrel ($5000), which I believe is a Lee sofa but am not sure. Also 8 way hand tied. It's out of my budget and I was hoping to stumble up on a great sale there. I like the color in this picture. I haven't even mentioned this to my husband because I know he'll think it's too expensive.

My budget isn't very big. The more I spend on a sofa, the less I have for anything else. I need it to last a long, long time. My old set is a super ugly Chateuax D'Aux. It lasted 15 years and now has holes. So basically, anything will be an upgrade for us, even another Chateau D'Aux. (HA) But we did like the Classic Leather a lot more than the Bradington Youngs or other sofas in the stores we've been in.

(I keep reading about Hancock and Moore but I haven't sat on any yet. Is there any chance of getting one at 3K or less?)

I'm starting over in this room so can change anything at this point. Will I regret a super dark sofa? Can I decorate around it and not have a super dark heavy room despite's its color? It WAS the most comfortable. The color is the ONLY thing holding me back from taking that guy up on his deal.

I assume the leathers are good quality with all of them. I don't understand the difference between Grade 1 and Grade 2. We kind of stopped looking at the Grade 1 sofa because the Grade 2 one just felt so much better. Why? I've googled and I'm not sure the difference.

Can anyone advise me? Is there anything I should watch out for? Questions I should ask? Experience on getting a color that wasn't your first choice vs. feeling like you overpaid or mismanaging your budget?

Comments (27)