SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crouch_gw

Distinguishing decent quality vs. junk in used furniture.

crouch
17 years ago

At the suggestion of some of the experts on this board for people in my budget range, I have begun to look into buying used furniture (wood items) in the hope of getting decent quality pieces for less expensive prices.

In particular, I need a dining room set and a guest bedroom set. I'd like average quality for the bedroom set (Thomasville-ish as opposed to Ashley-ish) and somewhat higher than average for the dining room set.

The problem is, many private sellers of used furniture don't know who the manufacturer was and can't find any markings on the furniture. Thus, even the limited knowledge I've picked up on this site about who the quality manufacturers are isn't of much help.

Instead, I have to physically go look at this furniture and determine on the spot whether it's reasonably well made or total junk.

I have no experience doing this and would greatly appreciate any advice as to what steps I should take to determine the general quality of the pieces I'll be looking at (apart from the drawer construction re: dovetail joints).

For the bedroom, I'll be buying a queen sleigh or panel bed, dressers, and nightstands.

For the dining room, I'll be buying a table, chairs, and china cabinet.

I like a traditional mahogany style. Thanks.

Comments (2)