SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rovo_gw

Boston marathon

rovo
11 years ago

I was here on the forum lurking, thinking about all of my "problems" with color choices and room design, and then turned the television on to see the bombings at the Boston Marathon.

Tears in my eyes as I think about this world we are living in. I am sickened, and so grateful to realize how unimportant my decorating concerns really are in the scheme of things.

Hope you and yours are all safe.

This post was edited by rovo on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 16:32

Comments (59)

• john_wc
    11 years ago

Any doubt that it was terrorism was erased when the bomb exploded at the Kennedy Library.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

rovo - please don't take my comment so personally and don't put words in my mouth. If anyone has read comments on the internet news sites, it's clear that there is already a tremendous amount of speculation going on, and some of it is quite ugly. I hope that we can all remain as calm as possible until we know exactly what happened here. That's the complete gist of my earlier point. Nothing more and nothing less.

I agree, of course, that this is tragic. I hope that as the story unfolds, hatred and fear will not run rampant.

This post was edited by SunnyCottage on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 17:27

• Related Discussions

Garden centers in and around Boston?

Q

Comments (9)
    I am not into New England Nurseries. Just OK in my book. Sort of small. Russells Garden Center. has a huge selection. Out on route 20 in Wayland. You really should say where in Boston you will be. It is kind of early for veggie plants. Most veggies are sold in May. and toward the end of May is the time for putting out tomatoes. Russells is your best best to find something this early. The place is enormous. If you drive from Boston going west on route 20, you can not miss it on the left. very pleasant. Almost like going to the flower show. Are you coming up for the Boston Marathon?? Russells is reasonably between the start and the end of the Marathon. But about 5 miles north of the marathon path more or less in the middle of the run. sort of. I am pretty sure they run down route 135 so you can see it on a map. Rt 135 and Rt 20 are more or less east and west parallel. but Rt 20 is north of 135 by about 5 miles. Russell's Garden Center 397 Boston Post Road Route 20 Wayland, MA 01778-1802 (508) 358-2283 Here is a link that might be useful: Russells
    ...See More

SS Support - Mon Dec 13th through Sun Dec 19th

Q

Comments (79)
    OPh my. I go away for a couple of days, and Raeanne and Suzanne start the French Lick party without me! LOL! For everyone's infomation, all 3 of mine are the truths! (JK!!!LMAO!) I guess Suzanne is # 3 Raeanne is # 2 Well, it is a quiet Saturday night here. Rog went to bed early, and I'm watching Flashdance, and thinking OMG--did I ever really wear torn sweatshirts?? (yep.) I think that's why I love to watch old(er) movies--for just a second, I am back to an age where there wasn't any major problems, and I still believed all people were good, and the whole world was open for the taking. :):) OK--advice needed--mom keeps wanting me to come over and watch some 2+ hours, B&W, 1940 movie with who-knows in it (I've never heard of them). At the risk of sounding like a cold-hearted @#!^%, I have NO (none, el zilcho, nada) desire to do this--heck, I don't even have the time to watch what I actually want to watch, much less this thing. Now, I know how important spending time with her and dad is, and I enjoy just sitting around yapping, but our choices of movies are a complete 180. The last time I got coerced into this, I pr@yed to die of boredom, and then fell asleep. It was a truly aweful movie, and part of me resents being guilted into this. We're fixing Christmas dinner for Christmas Eve to take over, before we go to Midnight services, and mom brought up this d@mned movie again. Gawd, I'll watch it, but I'd rather be sh0t--any suggestions? (I really am not being cold, I would just rather sit around and talk--and she knows this.) Anyhoo--hope this finds everone well! When are we going to reveal the truths? Hugs, Maddie PS--Suzanne, I got your package yesterday, but I couldn't get my x-ray glasses to work! Darn piece of cr@p!! LMAO!!
    ...See More

Boston Marathon highjacking

Q

Comments (2)
    The link below is the most info I've been able to find about the carjacking part of the whole mess. The bombers used the guy's ATM car to get cash, then let him go, while taking his car. Fortunately, the guy was able to call 911, and the suspects did not get away. One point this article makes is that terrorists frequently do stupid things. Here is a link that might be useful: carjacking
    ...See More

Quotes 11 - 20 - 17 page 4

Q

Comments (1)
    "The White House isn't the place to learn how to deal with international crisis, the balance of powers, war and peace, and the economical future of the next generation". Right on.
    ...See More
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

How awful!

• kellyeng
    11 years ago

I've heard some speculation that this may well be domestic terrorism. This is based on crude technology (apparently you can tell just based on the look of the blast) and also Timothy McVeigh's terrorism also took place on Patriot's Day (today).

• MarinaGal
    11 years ago

We live close the Marathon route and cheered runners for more than 3 hours today. It was a gorgeous day for the Marathon and the runners were simply inspiring. We are absolutely devastated to hear of the loss of life and terrible injuries, and by the fact that what should have have been a joyous day for all of the amazing athletes was turned into day of horror. I know that some of the runners we cheered were at the finish line when the bombs went off. Thankfully all of the people I know who ran today are safe, but my heart goes out to all of the victims, the runners and their families.

• bonnieann925
    11 years ago

This is horrific. I heard immediately from one of our daughters who works in downtown Boston. It took over two hours to hear from DD2, who also works in Boston, BUT has a good friend running in the marathon. OMG, when she called me from work I was so relieved to hear that she's safe and that her friend who ran in the marathon is ok.

This takes me back to 911, the day after we sent our oldest overseas to study for her junior year in college. Trying to connect is so difficult.

Boston has banned cell phone use, out of fear of the use setting of another explosion. OMG, I do not know the phone numbers of my DD's at work... or even if they were at work today, given the holiday.

Crazy world. Sick b-tards!

• donnamp14
    11 years ago

JFK library was a fire, not a bomb. Good news that it is not related.

I, too, live along the route. We love this day and this race. From the "Midnight Marathon" bike ride last night, to the Veterans who march for "Wounded Warriors", this is our Boston. Pray for the wounded. Thanks, America!

• texanjana
    11 years ago

So awful. Praying for Boston. BIL and SIL are safe, thank goodness.

• rovo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So glad that those here so far have found their loved ones safe. And yes, there is and will continue to be much speculation until answers are found.

I'm disappointed, SunnyCottage. Not a single person here went into ugly speculation, and yet you felt the immediate need, apropos of nothing, to admonish us all with your italicized (thinly veiled) plea---dictate---to not jump to conclusions.

Had anyone actually said something inflammatory, it might have been appropriate. As it is, you crowned yourself the thought police, created a controversy where none existed, and then decided to say I was putting words in your mouth and taking things personally when i gently reminded you that nobody had even gone in the direction you so righteously dictated inappropriate.

I really don't want to waste any more time dealing with this sort of passive aggressive behavior when there are clearly much more important things to worry about. So please take it elsewhere; I already gave your concern more kindness than it deserved.

• john_wc
    11 years ago

The Boston Police Commissioner at a press conference said that a bomb had detonated at the Kennedy Library. Apparently, police have since backed off that statement.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    11 years ago

After the explosion, many runners immediately ran to the hospital to give blood. So many blood donations have been given that the red cross does not need any more blood.

Photos from the area of the explosion show the American Flag is still flying high above the debris.

The American Spirit is much stronger than any terrorist.

• User
    11 years ago

Take a chill pill, rovo, everyone is entitled to their opinion and thoughts and yours are no more valid than those of anyone else.

sandyponder

• polly929
    11 years ago

I am sick over this. After watching 9/11 unfold before my eyes in NJ and my colleague lose her fiance, my neighbor never came home, several high school friends, it brings back so many memories of the feelings of that morning.

One of my colleagues ran the marathon today, so grateful she is ok.

Just so sickened that I had to explain it to my 9 year old because she inadvertently hear a radio report. I couldn't control my emotions and completely choked up and cried trying to explain it to her.

My prayers are with them. Especially the parents of the 8 year old. I'm heartsick to be raising my kids in a world where this happens.

• polly929
    11 years ago

sandyponder....completely unnecessary!!!!

• rovo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, sandyponder, I won't "take a chill pill." Take an english language course.

I resent people overtaking a perfectly civil discussion with their imaginary visions, stirring the pot without provocation, and creating problems where none exist.

Moreover, deciding that we all need to adhere to a stranger's personal code of conduct and dictating our collective thoughts---apropos of absolutely nothing, I remind you---is ludicrous.

The only thing more ridiculous is you telling me to shut up. Not going to happen. Do you feel better now that you've sided with the mean girl?

• User
    11 years ago

That's your opinin, polly929, and you are entitled to it, but you can't tell me my opinion is invalid, we are all entitled to post anything that meet the terms of service on GW, that includes opinions with which you disagree.

sandyponder

• polly929
    11 years ago

I never said it was invalid, just said it was unnecessary. But so are so many of your comments.

• User
    11 years ago

I have sided with no one, and if you paid attention, you would know that sunnycottage is no fan of mine. I said what I said because I like to wait for facts and not base everything on emotion and speculation, and speaking of "imaginary visions", I think that's you, not sunnycottage.

sandyponder, who speaks English just goodly, thank you

• User
    11 years ago

We are even, polly929, I feel the same way about your comments.

sandyponder

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

rovo - my statement was exactly along the same lines as President Obama's as he implored people not to rush to judgment before all of the facts can be ascertained. I stand by my comments and whatever problem you have with that is yours alone.

This post was edited by SunnyCottage on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 20:17

• polly929
    11 years ago

Rovo, you had well intentions with your post.

Thanks for your sentiments.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

My DH was a political science major, so in discussing with him, he said terrorism is by definition politically motivated or makes a political statement, so we don't know yet if this this was political. It could have just been an act of violence, though I will not be surprised if it is terrorism.

• yborgal
    11 years ago

With all that's happened today, do we have to bicker among ourselves over comments we and others have made?

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

No, we certainly don't Mona. It's absurd to be praying for others while behaving cruelly towards one another.
    To that end, rovo please forgive me for hurting your feelings. It was absolutely NOT my intent.

• rovo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I based nothing on emotions. Let's look at this rationally, shall we? I posted a thread stating how awful today's bombings were. In fact, I was quite clear that I was simply sad about today's events and said nothing about who did this or why. The follow-up comments (until you and SunnyCottage decided to join in, in your infinite wisdom) were in the same vein. Then, SunnyCottage decided that we should all refrain from jumping to conclusions, despite a lack of any commentary indicating anything of the sort. This is precisely why I took umbrage at that point. Determining that we should all "please wait for actual facts", when nobody said anything indicating orherwise, was idiotic and inflammatory. Did anyone say anything whatsoever that would lead her to believe that folks here were pointing fingers, going nuts, and otherwise behaving badly? No. Thus, we do not need her collective hand slapping.

Your attempt to chastise me,sandyponder, for pointing out that SunnyCottage was jumping to conclusions tells me that you have zero ability to think critically. No one said she was not entitled to her opinion. The point is that she had an opinion about her imagined, completely self-constructed idea that posters here were making rash assumptions. Absolutely nobody said anything remotely of the sort.

If you are going to throw fire on the flame, ensure that you actually have a point. I am tired of dealing with irrelevant bickering when my only reason for starting this thread was to discuss the horrific events today. I am sorry that you don't get it, and even more sorry that I started the conversation in the first place.

• User
    11 years ago

Seriously? This is such a terribly sad moment for these families as well as this country and all you guys can do is bicker? Please stop and think about what really matters here. This country is in real trouble and this is something we all need to come together on.

Words can not express how sad I feel for all those people, especially the parents of the 8 year old boy. I just don't understand it.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    11 years ago

People at the race today ran INTO the danger today to help those who had been hurt. I really hope we can all remember what is important here and that this is the message that comes away from this day, and I really fear for the country if that isn't the case.

• yborgal
    11 years ago

I don't know any of the people involved in this drama and I don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems to me if an apology is offered it would be gracious to accept it and move on.

• rovo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Of course! I really should have ignored comments I thought were inappropriate. Emotions are high and these things can take on a life of their own.

Offering the olive branch to all, and in total agreement that despite our differences, we do need to remember what is important. Peace!

• anele_gw
    11 years ago

Judie, my heart is thumping reading what you wrote: "Nephew and BIL passed the finish line 10 minutes before the explosion."

My goodness. I am so glad they and other GW friends/family are OK. My heart is breaking for those killed and injured.

Makes me also think of the wars that continue throughout the world, land mines exploding, etc.

"Afghanistan, Angola and Cambodia have suffered 85 per cent of the world's land-mine casualties. Overall, African children live on the most mine-plagued continent, with an estimated 37 million mines embedded in the soil of at least 19 countries. Angola alone has an estimated 10 million land-mines and an amputee population of 70,000, of whom 8,000 are children. Since May 1995 children have made up about half the victims of the 50,000-100,000 anti-personnel mines laid in Rwanda."

Horrible. Not sure why we are so cruel (collective "we").

Here is a link that might be useful: Mines

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

My DH works a few blocks from the finish line. He and his coworkers were standing there and just happened to go back to the office about 5 minutes before the explosions...thank God. One of his coworkers was there, standing right in the middle of the two explosions. She was not hurt, at least not physically. Two of my close friends were in a Starbucks close to the explosions, with their young kids -- the windows shattered and one of the girls got a cut on her leg. Thank goodness I don't know anyone who was injured worse than that.

We had planned a trip to DC later this week but have cancelled. Just not worth the risk -- I'm sure it would be fine but I feel like we'd be uneasy the whole time.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Boston is my home town, I was born and brought up there and today was a hurting day for so many. I felt like a death had occurred in my family when I heard of the needless deaths and destruction to so many other innocents. I'm so sad, for them, for Bostonians, for the children who have to learn about what happened. Life is full of challenges, we all have them but this kind is horrific. Yet watch the helpers, they are the voice of reason. Strangers running to help other strangers, makes me weep to think of the beauty of their souls. Pray for them please if you wish.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Good stuff here â¦

Here is a link that might be useful: Please read

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Removing double post.

This post was edited by SunnyCottage on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 22:53

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

There were two people from here who were injured, including one woman whose lower legs are severely injured while her DH suffered burns. She is in surgery.

Another woman from here crossed the finish line just as the bombs went off, but she had moved to the other side of the street and was uninjured.

• chispa
    11 years ago

I did not see any "good stuff" at that link ??? ... not a family/work safe link when the writer starts with the F word.

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

When I heard this today, I had flashbacks of a couple of events that happened in my local area a few years ago.

A beautiful, sunny day like today and suddenly a building downtown was completely engulfed in flames and then not half an hour later, bombs were found strapped to cars and one had fallen off a car close to my house! Everyone thought there was a connection initially, but it turned out they were not related, but the bombs were the result of a man who wanted to kill his estranged wife and he randomly placed bombs on vehicles to throw off suspicion.

A few months later, a father & son who were angry at the government put bombs at a local bank. The first one was a hoax, but the second one proved to be horribly fatal. Two police officers were killed and another horribly wounded. There were other lesser injuries, but our community was horrifically scarred.

Today's news just made me think of how awful the minds of people can be. I just cannot understand WHY someone would do this. Why try to kill or maim people you don't know? It just makes me sick and so angry.

• chispa
    11 years ago

It makes you wonder how the people of Israel (and some other countries) deal with the possibility of this type of event every single day. Luckily we aren't to the point yet of thinking that there might be a bomb at any event we attend. Can't imagine having to deal with that thought every day.

DH used to work in the area and go check out the race, so it hits close to home for us.

I wonder why they didn't target the busier time when the world class runners finish? That would have been really bad, with so many more people in the area. Maybe it says something about their device or when they were able to get it in place.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

SunnyCottage, that WAS good stuff. I think the f word is probably the most appropriate one to express MY feelings about this kind of tragedy. I kind of doubt anyone here is a minor and/or hasn't read it in print before.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I think that too Chispa, about other countries and what their daily lives must be like.
    Regarding Israel, we have a young friend who spent his life there before moving to the USA in the last two years, (he's 24- w/a USA mother and an Israeli father)) and he says that only certain areas are truly dangerous.
    What a terrible thing to happen.

• maddielee
    11 years ago

Thanks for the link Sunny. It is f*#%ing horrible.....

ML

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

What is heartening is the way the community has come together with literally thousands of people opening their homes to strangers who need a place to stay, with google opening a site specifically for people to post if they are looking for someone or if they have information on someone. So fortunate too that being near the end of the race, there was a lot of medical staff on hand ready to treat collapsed runners who came to the aid of the injured. Also fortunate that Boston has many excellent hospitals to take in the large number of injured people. They believe a lot of this has helped limit the number of people who have died as a result.

What is also good, if true, is that the police have disarmed a bomb so they have it for understanding how it was made which may be a signature for the bomber, and they have a shot at any DNA and/or fingerprint evidence left behind.

I think that the micro perspective makes it seem that violence is becoming more prevalent as: a) acts of terrorism are designed to spread fear even further than death or injury and it works; b) the media brings all these events of horror inside our doorsteps and into our living rooms; and c) these events of violence are visited directly on the US. We spent the last century fighting wars on other people's land...Europe, Asia, the Mideast...or we were witnesses to violence in other people's lands such as the UK or Israel, Lebanon, Syria, etc. When it hits close to home, it not only makes the horror of it seem so much more real when it's people we know or places we've been, but it has the added effect of shaking our fundamental sense of safety in our own community.

However, history demonstrates the opposite. Globally, violence has declined dramatically over the last few centuries and we are living more peacefully now than before. This is really good news for human kind and very hopeful. The benefits of education, growth in governments that respect human rights and economic well being are extremely powerful forces against violence.

Here is a link that might be useful: Better Angels of our Nature

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Thanks, olychick and maddielee. I find the "f" word completely innocuous in light of the bigger picture. Again, it seems like there's a lot of offense being taken where absolutely none was intended. I'm about done here ... seems like much ado about nothing too much of the time.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Just heard the latest update and apparently there were only 2 devices, both of which went off...no disarmed devices.....

• User
    11 years ago

...pot meet kettle...

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Oh, shut it, Gail.

I am done here.

Adios.

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

(Sigh!) The one reason I read through this thread was to find out if Yaya, SueB and any other GW's, their families and friends who might have been there were unharmed by yesterday's tragedy. I thought of you immediately.I'm glad you and yours are ok. My thoughts and prayers are with the injured, all the families and friends of those hurt, traumatized or killed. Such an incredibly sad event.
    Lynn

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Thank you Lynne, I was terrified for a few hours as my grand niece and her children go to the finish line to watch her husband and their dad come in but I found out eventually they didn't go as one of the boys got sick and they all went to Mass. General Hospital. What a relief for me.
    I want to say that we women, at a time like this, need to stand WITH each other and support each other rather than let ego's get in the way. Remember, it wasn't about us.

• maddielee
    11 years ago

.... the link Sunny shared happened to be one of the most "trending" articles sent after yesterday's horrific happenings.

The second most "trending" was the often used, but good, saying of Mr. Rogers. About finding a helper when you need help.

ML

• tinam61
    11 years ago

Sue, I wondered about you. Glad you and your family were all safe.

It breaks my heart to see the picture of that little 8 year old boy with the sign that says "stop hurting people - PEACE". (Not sure I have the wording correct - but you get the meaning). So very sad that something like this has happened.

tina