SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan631_gw

Question about repairs on wood staircase

susan631
12 years ago

My oak staircase was refinished by a contractor using a moisture cure product about 9 years ago. This staircase has an old wrought iron bannister that is going to be replaced with a wood bannister. I was told by the contractor who will be doing this job that when the old railings are removed, there will be some damage--holes where the balusters were screwed into the treads and nosing that cannot be matched up to have the new balusters cover the holes. They will use plugs in some of the larger holes.

My question is whether I will have to have the entire staircase sanded and refinished again to make the plugs blend in (and also any smaller holes I'm left with that cannot be plugged), or can a good flooring contractor do spot repairs and refinish those little areas so that they are not too noticeable on the wood. The contractor says this is no big deal for a flooring contractor to do, but I am not so sure and I would rather not have the whole staircase sanded down and refinished again if I can possibly help it.

Comment (1)