SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dryslick

Questions about wood replacement window options

dryslick
14 years ago

Ive just started to research on replacing the windows in a 1969 colonial. We have wood single pane double-hung windows with a storm window and weÂre in a Washington DC suburb (Montgomery County). I donÂt think I want vinyl on the outside and I havenÂt yet decided on an insert or full replacement. If cost were not a factor, IÂd do full replacement (but it is a factor). Also, from reading the forum, I know a lot of people advocate repairing them but I donÂt think IÂm in favor of that because I donÂt like our current storm window look. I think weÂll go for SDL in whatever new windows we go with.

That said, how often would new wood windows need to be painted on the outside? Is it more often than the rest of the house itself? Would it vary by manufacturer? For example, how often would I need to paint a wood Marvin double hung replacement?

Is aluminum clad ok in the DC area? Last week, I was surprised to see a Washington Post article indicating that aluminum clad windows are not appropriate for DC because of the heat transfer. Is that accurate? Would vinyl or wood be my only appropriate options?

From an energy transfer standpoint, is a new full frame replacement going to make much difference over an insert? We donÂt have a pulley system. Would an energy audit help me determine this? Besides window replacement, I know we have many other less costly opportunities for energy savings so we might do an audit anyway.

What type of difference in install cost should I expect between an insert vs. full replacement? We could decide to do full replacement on the front windows vs. the side / back windows.

Thanks for any info in advance. IÂve been reading posts for a couple of weeks. This forum has lots of great members and it has also sufficiently scared me into doing much more fact finding before proceeding (after seeing many horror story posts).

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville