SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjaero19473

Salvaged beech wood flooring

rjaero19473
14 years ago

We are shopping around for wood flooring and came across a few thousand feet of beech wood flooring that was salvaged from an old home. The boards were top nailed, but all the nails have been removed. Most of the boards have mastic on the back side. The boards range in size from 2' to 8'. We need about 2500 sq. ft. and I am able to buy the whole lot of 4000 sq ft at $2.50 sq ft. My wife and I really like the rustic look, and in order to get that from new floor we'd have to spend a ton of money. If we were to buy the flooring, how should we go about finishing it? Do I need to have all the board planed to make them smooth, or can we install as they are and sand them once they are installed? Also, I am unsure of how much sanding and finishing in place costs, so if anyone has pricing info, please let me know. I am also interested in doing what I can to help the environment, so using salvaged wood versus new wood is a bonus, but it's not going to drive my decision whether or not I will buy the product. Overall, my primary concerns are: 1) is this a good deal. 2) will the end result be worth the effort. 3) is it going to be more expensive than buying new wood flooring that has a rustic look.

Comments (5)