SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ibjammin_gw

I Think My Damper Door is Missing.

ibjammin
17 years ago

I have a brick fireplace with a wood insert in it. I had it installed a few years after I built my house about 25 years ago because I could not get any heat from just the fireplace. ( Poorly built.) Since I do not use it that much anymore ( none in the last 5 years or so ), I want to pull the insert out, reface the fireplace surround and hearth with marble to give it a more updated look. When I pulled the covers off that go around the insert to help seal it, I noticed by using a mirror and flashlight that I think the damper door has been taken off. Is this possible ? I can see the metal frame for the door and the piece the handle sat on to adjust it. There is no flue pipe going from the insert up the chimney so I do not know why someone would have to take it off. But I do not want to take the insert out and leave a open hole up my chimney where in the summertime cold air from the central will be exiting up it. I have a chimney cap on it now to keep most stuff from getting down it. I was wondering if I could just cut me a steel plate to cover the hole on the top of the chimney since I will not be building any fires ? I would appreciate your help on this one.

Comments (2)