SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marshall__gw

Batteries in Mendota FV-44i gas insert

Marshall_
13 years ago

I just had a Mendota FV-44i gas insert installed and I'm getting the feeling that I made a big mistake. We bought the insert to provide heat when the electric power goes out, which is happening all too frequently. We made it very clear to the salesman that heat without electric power was our main objective. The installer twice made it clear to us that the insert would only function without power if the batteries were installed in the receiver. But he also said that we should NOT keep batteries in the receiver because the heat would kill the batteries in a week or two.

That appears to mean that when the power goes off, I have to go through a series of unfamiliar steps using a flashlight (1) remove the glass front, (2) remove a small slide switch cover, (3) remove a snap-out door covering the battery compartment, (4) install 4 AA batteries in correct position, (5) replace cover and slider, (6) synchronize the remote following more unfamiliar directions, and (7) replace the glass front. Right now I think I'm physically able to go through those steps. But what am I going to do if my Arthritis gets worse or I develop Parkinson's?

The manual doesn't mention anything about not leaving batteries in the fireplace, but I believe that the installer was relating his experience. Do you have any experience or suggestions to help me?

Comments (10)