SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ibjammin_gw

Wanting to reface my fireplace. Need help.

ibjammin
17 years ago

This is my first time to post on this forum so bear with me.

I have a 70's style fireplace with the typical old red/orange and white brick which I would like to reface with something like marble or granite 12 X 12 tiles. I have a lot of experience laying tile down but I have a couple of questions laying it over brick.

I have read on this forum where a lot of people lay the tile right on top of the brick. My brick seems to have a little texture ( holes, dips ) and also deep mortar lines. I don't know if I could tile on mine or not because of this. I was thinking about installing thin backerboard over the brick first and tile over the backerboard which brings me to my next question. If I use the backerboard, what would be the best way to attach it to the brick ? Would I drill screws through the backerboard into the brick or should I use something else such as some sort of anchor screw ? I have never tried to install anything onto brick before. Another way I thought of doing it would be to attach 1 X 2 boards to the brick and then attach the backerboard onto the boards. What would be the best way ?

Another problem I have is that the bricks on top of the hearth on front stick out about an inch or more over the rest of the brick. What would I do in this situation ? Do I use something like plywood to fill in the gap from the floor up to it or maybe something else ? Also, I have carpet up to the hearth now, but could I tile down the front of the hearth to the carpet to give it that tucked under look or should I pull the carpet away from the brick first ?

Next question. I have an insert in my fireplace now but plan to take it out. I may want to install again later but for now I just want the look of the fireplace with a screen. When I lay my tiles on top of the hearth, would I go ahead and lay them into the back of the firebox ? If not, where would I need to stop the tile ? Like I said, I may want to install my insert later and did not know how this may effect that if I did.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I am lost on this job.

Comment (1)