SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brankulo

tiling existing slab

brankulo
10 years ago

we have exposed concrete floor in our house that we would like to tile. when the house was built we asked for concrete to be a finish floor so it is very level and smooth. it is sealed with solvent based sealer. now i understand that sealer needs to be removed, unless you guys tell me different.
also during first month the slab developed hairline cracks maybe 1/16" thick here and there and concrete is level going over the cracks. do i need to worry about them? the slab is now 5 years old and there were no additional cracks developing or any other problems.
after i remove the sealer, can i just lay directly over the bare concrete? for removing sealer on part of the slab i have used chemical that i dont remember the name but it seemed to remove it good as when i spilled water after it would soak in within minute or so. before it would sit on the sealer for at least 5 minutes. i am just hoping i dont need to use scarifier.
also what groutline thickness is recomended for 12x24 tile. i would like the thinnest. 1/8" ok. and what trovel notch size?
any help appreciated

Comments (3)