SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
khashabi

Building a slab foundation on top of a existing slab for in-law??

John Khashabi
4 years ago

Hello everyone. I had some questions about building a lab foundation for a 1200sf in-law unit and wanted to hear what everyone had to say or anyone who know about foundation work. I got a approval for a 1200sf in-law unit(ADU) and before I pull the trigger on the foundation, I got a couple different opinions from different contractors. Got quotes from $18K which is supposedly cheap to 24K to install a foundation for this unit with me removing the concrete which would be another 3500 and my time. I spoke with my dad's friend who has been a concrete contractor for 35+ years and told me to leave it because his 8 inches of base rock wont be as strong as the 6 to 7 inch slab that is there is great condition and hardly any cracks. I installed 1/2 rebar in it to be stronger also a few years back. Told me to just saw cut the back against the fence and the center where a supporting wall will be and across the back side of the garage and leave the rest. We would put a couple inches base rock on top of it. 10 Mil vapor barrier and lay the steel and pour right over it and call it a day. Would save me thousands in cement removal, labor and base rock. Just want to know what everyone thought about that. Thank you in advance.

Comments (16)