SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chezron

Refinishing Wood Floor -- Advice Needed!

chezron
10 years ago

Refinishing Wood Floor-- Advice Needed!

I am getting the wood floor in my master bedroom refinished. The master bedroom is on the opposite side of the house from the deck. This will entail 3 coats of oil-based polyurethane spread over several days. I live in San Diego where the highs are 70ish and the lows are around 53-55. I live in a isolated cul de sac at the end of a long driveway. People cannot easily come down unnoticed, if not by me, but also by my two neighbors. My floor guy says he will apply early in the morning and the house will be habitable (for humans) in 6 hours. I am not familiar with how badly polyurethane volitilizes and affects air quality. I have pet parrots whose lungs are much more sensitive to toxins than human lungs are. Here are my choices:

1. Move the parrot cages into the garage and open both garage doors during the day, and closing the doors at night, and leaving them in the garage. I would live there also.
  2. Moving the cages out onto the deck all day (we have hawks) and rolling them in at night. I will be out there with them most of the time.
  3. Moving the cages onto a balcony deck outside the living room where they will be more isolated from possible human interest, but still there is the hawks, and rolling them in at night.
  4. Taking them for several days to a boarding facility. I hate this option as I will be subjecting them to an unfamiliar place with possible disease.

Any suggestions?

Comments (9)