SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susie_que12

ISO...mac and cheese

susie_que
15 years ago

It started as a joke.

When I was very young I had my wisdom teeth out. It was a very difficult ordeal in which my lower jaw was fractured.

During my recovery, all I wanted was macaroni and cheese.

My dear mother made me the blue box kind. (grin)

Well I recovered in a few weeks and I have never eaten the stuff again LOL!!

Next week DD is having her wisdom teeth out. Her surgery is routine and we see no other complications.

She will be on soft foods for a few days and guess what she requested?? Mac and cheese!!

I make mac and cheese with sharp cheddar and I like it but I want to jazz it up for Amy.

So I am requesting mac and cheese recipes to try for her.

I got a recipe from a lady I work with and hers calls for cream cheese....she sauce it makes the sauce creamy.

Another lady told me to add blue cheese to the mix.

So how about it gang...whats your favorite Mac and cheese recipe??

Cheers!

Susie

Comments (16)

• khandi
    15 years ago

For a different twist, I add about 1/2 cup salsa to the cheese sauce.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

My 4-year old DGS prefers the blue box, but then he will only eat frozen pancakes.

For me, this is worth the effort.

Patti LaBelle's Over the Rainbow Mac-n-cheese

Ingredients:
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 pound elbow macaroni
    1/2 cup butter PLUS 1 tablespoon
    1/2 cup shredded Muenster cheese
    1/2 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    2 cups half & half
    1 cup Velveeta, cut into small cubes
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    1/4 teaspoon PenseyÂs 4S salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground

Topping: 3 tablespoons butter
    1 cup panko or bread crumbs

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350.
    2. Lightly butter a deep 2 1/2 quart casserole.
    3. Cook pasta, add the oil then the elbow macaroni and cook until macaroni is just tender (about 7 minutes). Drain well and return to the pot.
    4. In a small saucepan, melt the first measure of butter (1/2 cup butter PLUS 1 tablespoon. Stir into the macaroni.
    5. In a large bowl, mix the Muenster, mild and sharp Cheddar cheese and the Monterey Jack cheese.
    6. To the macaroni, add the half & half, 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheeses, the cubed Velveeta and the eggs. SAVE ½ cup for topping
    7. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the buttered casserole.
    8. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and dot with the remaining butter. Melt the butter in a sauté pan and toss the bread crumbs to coat. Top the macaroni with bread crumbs.
    9. Bake until it is bubbling around the edges, about 35 minutes. Serve hot.

• wanda662
    15 years ago

Here's a different one that I clipped from "The Taste Of Home" mag.

2 C. small-curd cottage cheese
    1 cup sour cream
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    Garlick salt and pepper to taste
    2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    1 package elbow macaroni, cooked and drained

In a large bowl, combine the cottage cheese, sour cream, egg, salt, garlic salt and pepper. Add cheddar cheese; mix well. Add macaroni and stir until coated.
    Transfer to a greased 2-1/2 qt. baking dish.
    Bake uncovered at 350 for 25-30 min.
    Sprinkle with paprika if desired.
    Yield: 8-10 servings

• shaun
    15 years ago

Here's a strange but good recipe -
    1 Box Elbow Maccaroni
    1 can tomato soup
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    shredded mild cheddar cheese (about 3 cups)

Cook the maccaroni and drain. Add the 2 soups to it and 2 cups of shredded cheese *you can use as much cheese as you like*

Mix well and then sprinkle more shredded cheddar on top and bake for 30 mins at 350.

• lindac
    15 years ago

for soemone who has just had her wisdom teeth out....be sure to over cook the macaroni.
    Mac and cheese is comfort food....whether made from the blue box, with Velveeta or 6 year old Canadian chedder and heavy cream.
    Give her a "poor baby" from me!....and a fudgesicle!
    Linda C

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

Here is one from Kframe. I'd skip the bacon this time around...might be too chewy and cause promblems with the pockets left from the teeth.

LaBelle's recipe is good too. I remember making a good one with leftover various cheeses from the fridge. It was a one shot deal but oh so good.

David

Posted by kframe19 (My Page) on Sat, Apr 26, 08 at 18:28

OK...
    First off, let me say that the basic recipe comes from Alton Brown, but I have changed it and added to it. I used two kinds of cheese, NY Sharp Cheddar and Greuyer. You can use any combination of cheeses you want. Next time I might try adding Asagio, as well.

If you don't like cayanne pepper, you can certainly either cut back on it or omit it, but I like the bite it gives this recipe.

1/2 pound elbow macaroni
    3 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons flour
    1/2 teaspoon of cayanne pepper
    1 tablespoon powdered mustard
    3 cups milk
    1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
    3 or 4 cloves of garlic, smashed or diced fine
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1 large egg, light beaten
    12 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
    6 to 8 strips of bacon, fried crisp, drained, and crumbled
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    Fresh black pepper
    Topping:
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 cup panko bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente.

While the pasta is cooking, in a separate pot, melt the butter and let it foam out.

Add the onion and garlic with a pinch of kosher salt and lightly sautee until they start to turn carmel colored and soft.

Whisk in the flour and mustard and keep it moving for about five minutes. Make sure it's free of lumps. Stir in the milk, onion, bay leaf, cayanne pepper, and paprika.

Simmer for ten minutes and remove the bay leaf.

Temper in the egg. Stir in 3/4 of the cheese and the bacon.

Season with salt and pepper.

Fold the macaroni into the mix and pour into a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.

Melt the butter in a saute pan and toss the bread crumbs to coat. Top the macaroni with the bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and rest for five minutes before serving.

I served this to friends for dinner, and they went absolutely nuts over it.

• jojoco
    15 years ago

Not really a recipe, but this is what I do. Make a classic white sauce first, then add cheese and bake:

4 cups milk, heated to very warm
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup flour
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 tsp (ish, I just shake it in) mustard powder
    2 cups orange cheddar
    2 cups white cheddar
    handful parmesan cheese, shredded
    1/2 cup crushed goldfish crackers

Melt butter in saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook for a minute, stirring constantly. Add warm milk and seasonings and cook for about 5 minutes until thickened. Put cheese in a large bowl and pour white sauce over it. Stir until cheese is melted. Add cooked macaroni (about a pound). Mix well. Pour in buttered casserole. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and sprinkle crushed goldfish over top. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or so.

Jo

• woodie
    15 years ago

4 granddaughters loved Patti LaBelle's and the 13 y/o insisted that her mom get the recipe from me! It was a winner here - thanks, Mustangs!

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Woodie, I'm so glad that you tried it.

I think I found the secret to 4 yo GS eating homemade M&C. Yesterday he asked the waitress it the if the Mac & Cheese had "little" noodles. DD explained that it was his way of determining if it was blue box M&C.

• pat_t
    15 years ago

I make this every holiday for family gatherings. It makes a ton and the kids love it!

CROCKPOT MACARONI AND CHEESE

8 oz. elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
    4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
    1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
    1-1/2 cups milk
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper

Place cooked macaroni in slow cooker that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray. Reserve 1 cup cheese; add rest of cheese and the other ingredients to the macaroni. Mix well. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Cook on HIGH at least 2-1/2 hours. Do not remove cover or stir until ready to serve.

Recipe courtesy of Mr. Food.

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

I like Patti's recipe that Mustangs posted. It is very good. I also like Ina's recipe (Barefoot Contessa) with the Gruyere Cheese and tomatoes.

• coconut_nj
    15 years ago

Susie, you have some great recipes. Patti LaBelles is sure a winner. I'd like to suggest that instead of elbows though, you use small shells. We always use something other than elbows and small shells are a real favorite and would add another special touch for your DD. Easy to make them a little softer too for the sore mouth girl.

• azzalea
    15 years ago

I don't use a recipe.

When I make mac and cheese, I generally clean out the cheese drawer. I start by making a quart or 2 of white sauce, in which I toss a Parmesan rind while it cooks to flavor it (remove the rind at the end, of course) and a dash or 2 of mustard. Then I take the pan off the heat and add a combo of some/all of the following--cream cheese, sharp cheddar, herbed or vegetable cheddar, blue cheese, American, provolone, and anything else that might be on hand, stirring until cheese is melted. I use some of the sauce for mac and cheese, and put the rest in pint containers and freeze for future use (welsh rarebit, more mac and cheese, cheesey potatoes, over vegetables, hot cheese dip for bread cubes, etc)

• susie_que
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to all who shared recipes and suggestions!!

DD is already stessing out although I assured her she is in very capable hands (the daughter of the Dr who did mine).

The store I work at is having a 50% off store brand cheeses so I've been stocking up on the basics.
    Some other things I think she'll be able to eat is good ole mashed potatoes, creamy soups, scrambled eggs, pudding and oatmeal.
    The docs gave her 3 days off work but since she is taking an accelerated class she will still have to go to school on Thurs, the procedure is Tue.

I know she will be fine. I was a pretty sore the day of-more bruised than anything else. But after a few days I was better although due to my fracture I could not chew for 2-3 weeks-hence the soft diet.

Thanks again!!

Cheers!
    Susie

• annie1971
    15 years ago

azalea: I also make my mac and cheese with a white sauce and add cheese; but I've never frozen it for future use. Thanks for the tip. I always add some hot sauce, but your mustard is also a good tip.
    Annie1971

• kathleenca
    15 years ago

Susie, I made this recipe last month for the first time, though I cut it out of the paper about two years ago. It's now my very favorite macaroni & cheese. It's very rich & feeds a lot. I gave some to two others, who are still talking about it. It keeps well - doesn't break down & get watery. It is SO good! Joan's on Third is a popular restaurant in Los Angeles.

Joan's on Third Macaroni and Cheese
    10 - 12 servings

1 pound pasta (elbow macaroni, fusilli, or any shape desired)
    2 ounces butter
    3 3/4 cups whole milk
    6 ounces ricotta or small curd cottage cheese
    3 ounces cream cheese
    12 ounces Monterey jack, shredded
    12 ounces Gouda, shredded, plus 8 ounces
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cook pasta in large pot of boiling, salted water until just tender. Drain well.
    Add butter, milk, ricotta, cream cheese, Monterey jack, and 12 ounces of the Gouda to the warm pasta. Season with salt and pepper.
    Gently mix everything together, leaving some chunks of cheese visible. Pour the mixture into 9 by 11-inch baking pan.
    Top with the remaining 8 ounces of Gouda.
    Bake until beautifully golden, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve hot or room temperature.